Date Format checking prior to conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rggoud
Participant

Date Format checking prior to conversion

Post by rggoud »

Is there anyway to check the format of a char column having dates for valid date format prior to conversion ?
let me explain within an example. We are getting Date value in various formats (dd-mm-yy, dd-mm-yyyy, yyyymmdd totally about 6 fixed formats ) in a char column. Now the code needs to validate this column for valid date and put this date into date database column if it is valid date. I tried using IsValid. I'm not sure how to use IsValid. No much documentation for this function.

Any help on doing this ?

Thanks
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Date

Post by mandyli »

Hi

what is ur database. u please try to use Oconv() function for date format conversion or you need to to be write routine for date format validation.

-
Mandy
Woth
Participant

Re: Date

Post by Woth »

Database? This guy is trying to normalize the data..and this Oconv() wont work with PX (depending on the version..later versions have the "basic" transformer on the palette)...what version of PX are you using?
mandyli wrote:
what is ur database. u please try to use Oconv() function for date format conversion or you need to to be write routine for date format validation.

-
Mandy
rggoud
Participant

Re: Date

Post by rggoud »

Thanks Guys.

We are using Datastage 7.0 which has the Basic Transformer in PX. But i'm reluctant to use since we are getting some performance issues (sometime fatal errors ). Oracle is the database.