Maximum Number of Value Files in Parameter Set

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

atulgoel
Participant

Maximum Number of Value Files in Parameter Set

Post by atulgoel »

is there any maximum limit on the number of Value Files that we can define in Parameter Set?
Atul
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Isn't technically the answer 1? While you could have any number of value files created, only one at a time can be associated with a given parameter set. That's what I recall, anywho.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
atulgoel
Participant

Post by atulgoel »

Thats right... At run time we can use only on value file set. But my question was.. Is there any limit on the number of value file set that we can define with one parameter set?

Hope my question is clear. :roll:
Atul
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not... the answer may depend on what exactly you mean by "define" but as I already noted that can be "any number", i.e. there is no limit that I've ever seen or recall.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Timato
Participant

Post by Timato »

Each parameter set value defined will result in a plaintext file with the same name created in the parameter set folder (project/parameterset/<parameter set name>/<parameterset value>) on the DataStage engine file system.

So my guess would be the number of parameter sets values files will be bounded by any file system restrictions there (ie. probably none :) ). Personally, I have created jobs with ~100ish parameter set values with no problems, though within DS designer, opening up the parameter set editor takes a second or two longer to bring up all the values, at which i resort to just editing the parameterset values by hand in notepad.
atulgoel
Participant

Post by atulgoel »

Ok thanks... Marking this post as resolved... :)
Atul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no practical limit.

However a very large number will introduce minor delays to the drop-down lists in the various GUIs, for example when choosing the "value" of a Parameter Set in the Job Run Options dialog.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.