VIEWDATA ROW LIMITER HIT error when trying to view data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sec105105
Participant

VIEWDATA ROW LIMITER HIT error when trying to view data

Post by sec105105 »

We recently ran into this error when trying to view data on a sequential file stage. Our file was valid, but only had 1 row. For some reason, the 'skip count' in the data browser had been set to 10. I guess the dialogue can't handle a skip greater than the number of rows (However, it seems to be able to handle 'rows to display' greater than the actual number of rows.

So, if you get that error, one thing to check is that you're not skipping more than the number of rows in the file.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... thanks for posting that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

A few things to be aware of...

When you are in the View Data's Data Browser dialog box, at that point in time, the file has not yet been read and it is unknown to the software how many records the file may contain, so it cannot really warn you ahead of time.

The Skip count setting skips the specified number of rows before viewing data. It actually reads or imports the rows successfully.

The Show OSH button gives an idea of what takes place behind the scene:
#### STAGE: _Head
## Operator
head -nrecs 9999 -skip 10 -period 20

I have been bitten by this before because it's a dialog box I don't normally pay much attention to and Designer remembers and reuses your previous settings.

It would be nice if it highlighted non-default Skip count and Period settings, but that would require a Request for Enhancement. I am just guessing it would not become a high priority RFE.

On the other hand, this may be a fun prank to play on coworkers who leave their computers unlocked while away... :wink:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius