DateToString() Invalid Format [%mmmm]

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

DateToString() Invalid Format [%mmmm]

Post by MrBlack »

Can someone help tell me what I'm doing wrong? My data is comes in in the following format YYMM and I'm trying to get the long month name.

Code: Select all

Sample Data as Integer
---------------------------
So to translate the data this how the dates would read:

Real Dates
------------
2015-01-01
2015-02-01
2015-03-01
First I declare a stage variable to get the integer into a date datatype

WaveDt = DateFromComponents(YearFromDate(CurrentDate())[1,2] : DSLink13.WAVE[1,2],DSLink13.WAVE[3,2],"01")
Then the part I'm struggling with is getting the long month name:

DateToString(WaveDt,"%mmmm")
But then I get this error:

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Caught exception from runLocally(): APT_ParseError: Parsing parameters "%mmmm" for conversion "string=string_from_date[%yyyy-%mm-%dd](date)": APT_Conversion_String_Date: Invalid Format [%mmmm] used for string_from_date type conversion.
I verified the data format with IBM so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Scroll down your doc link a little further, to Table 2. Format tag restrictions.

It says that "When some tags are used the format string requires that other tags are present too, as indicated in the 'requires' column."

The month tags cannot be used by themselves; it requires a year tag to be present also.

Why is a year tag also required? I have no idea, but it works. Then you would just need to strip off the year from the result.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius