Conversion of Time from EST to GMT.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Conversion of Time from EST to GMT.

Post by kollurianu »

Hi All,

Datastage server time is EST and in the jobs we want to insert GMT times..
so how do we do the conversion , taking care of the day light savings ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I would start with looking at the Unix TZ environment variable and its usage.

Then to avoid having all of your times GMT (exported say in your dsenv) I would write a simple C routine that you could call from your job to return a gmt timestamp when you need it. I have included an example that may/may not work for you

Code: Select all

char *pfLocal2GMTimestamp(char *localTimeStr)
{
    struct tm time_str;
    long int fraction;
    char daybuf[20];
    time_t timeval;
    char buffer[24];
    char *returnBuffer;
    returnBuffer=(char *)malloc(30);

sscanf(localTimeStr,"%4d-%2d-%2d %2d:%2d:%2d.%6ld",&time_str.tm_year,&time_str.tm_mon,&time_str.tm_mday,&time_str.tm_hour,&time_str.tm_min,&time_str.tm_sec,&fraction);
    time_str.tm_year = time_str.tm_year - 1900;
    time_str.tm_mon = time_str.tm_mon - 1;
    time_str.tm_isdst = -1;
    timeval=mktime(&time_str);

strftime(buffer,30,"%Y-%m-%d %T.",gmtime(&timeval));

// add microseconds
    sprintf(returnBuffer, "%s%06ld",buffer,fraction);

return returnBuffer;
}
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In an expression in a job sequence (for example in a User Variables activity) you could use the System(99) function, which returns the number of seconds since midnight GMT on January 1, 1970, then use Oconv() and Time() functions to convert that to current.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Hi Ray ,

Thanks for your response.. but I am not able to view your full content of the post , though I renewed my premium membership account .. so could, have informing the Dxchange support team , but not fixed so far.

could somebody post the message for me.

Thanks for your help.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Hi Ray ,
Thanks for your response..but I didn't find the System(99) function in the repository.. In which category of repository can we find this function ?
Any inputs greatly appreciated.

Thank you..
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Hi Ray,

Could you please give the exact syntax from time conversion from seconds to datetimestamp format ?

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code: Select all

uvGMTSecs  <--  System(99)
uvDays  <--  Int(uvGMTSecs / 86400)
uvSecs  <--  Mod(uvGMTSecs, 86400)
uvDate  <--  Oconv(uvDays + 732, "D-YMD")
uvTime  <--  Oconv(uvSecs, "MTS")
uvTimestamp  <--  uvDate : " " : uvTime
Generalize from the above. You couldn't, for example, do all of that in a single User Variables activity (because you can't refer to variables in from the same activity). 732 is the number of days between the DataStage internal day zero and 01/01/1970.

That will get you pretty close. It's out of my head - I'm currently preparing a new installation, so have no DataStage software available.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thanks Ray for your Response..

But System(99) function , I am not able to find in the repository.

When I am trying to use that function in UV stage .. it says Variable "System" not defined.

Could someone post Ray's message again , because I am not able to view the full content.

Thank you all.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Use that function in a routine.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thanks for your response Craig ..

You mean to call System(99) function in a Routine activity stage right.?
If so inorder to call System(99) function in a Routine activity stage I got to browse thru the repository path .. so for that I need the location of the function to use in Routine activity stage.

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The System() function is not in the Repository - it is internal to the DataStage BASIC language itself.

I assume, from other threads, that your premium membership is now operational again and that you can read the entirety of my earlier post.

It does not require a routine at all, but shows an approach using user variables. But you could, of course, do the same in a routine.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you do not write a BASIC routine to do this. You will have essentially tied yourself to either a UV stage in a sequencer or implementing a BASIC transform in a parallel job which is generally (won't say never, but want to) a good idea.

If you write a parallel routine then you can use that within a job wherever you might need it. You may have timestamp columns in your data that require conversion - the BASIC routine will not do that for you unless you implement a specific way.

Make every attempt to use the parallel palette and all that is there rather than reverting to server constructs. There is nothing that can be done in a server job or routine that cannot be done in the parallel palette.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Brave call.