Implementing OR condition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Pk39565
Premium Member
Premium Member

Implementing OR condition

Post by Pk39565 »

Hi,

I am new to Datastage PX and wanted to know how to implement OR condition.

I have 3 lookup's to make on 3 different files. If record is not not found in first lookup i should not drop or reject the record , i have to continue to search in other 2 lookup's.

Can i implement with single lookup stage or join stage OR i have to use 3 stages to make lookup on 3 files by specifying inner join.

Regards
DK.
Praneet
nirdesh2
Participant

Re: Implementing OR condition

Post by nirdesh2 »

It can be implement in different ways based on requirment.
You can use 3 lookup stage.
In first lookup,lookup on first file and reject the unmatched record.
In second stage, lookup only for rejected record and reject the unmatched record.
in third stage, lookup the rejected records from second lookup.
Then use the funnel stage to collect all the matching records from 3 loopup stages.
Nirdesh Kumar
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Or you can do this in single lookup stage and three lookup dataset.
Do lookup against all the three reference with the corresponding key.
With "Keep" option on Lookup failure.
And use transformer to find the lookup match in the order you need and do the business later.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Pk39565
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Pk39565 »

HI,

First ption is ok. In second option in transformer how can i know is lookup passed or failed. In lookup datasets i have only Key column (sigle column).

If lookup pass in any of the 3 lookup files , i have to write one column coming from source to another file which will be used in different job.

Regards
Prannet.
Praneet
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What happens if lookup succeeds in two or more lookups?

Just implement the appropriate logic in the Transformer stage downstream of the lookups.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What happens if lookup succeeds in two or more lookups?

Just implement the appropriate logic in the Transformer stage downstream of the lookups.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Pk39565
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Pk39565 »

HI,

First ption is ok. In second option in transformer how can i know is lookup passed or failed. In lookup datasets i have only Key column (sigle column).

If lookup pass in any of the 3 lookup files , i have to write one column coming from source to another file which will be used in different job.

Regards
Prannet.
Praneet
prakashdasika
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prakashdasika »

You can do the three looks ups in three different lookup stages with the 'lookup failure' condition as continue. You are then affectively doing a left outer join on all three stages, you can capture flags in the three lookupsatges that meet the criteria and apply the required condition in a transformer. This gives you more flexibility.
Prakash Dasika
ETL Consultant
Sydney
Australia
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Try adding a dummy column in the references. And you can use the dummy column to check the lookup condition.
If you cant add the dummy column...
Then, you may need three lookup stages.
On failure of the first lookup, reject the recorcs to second.
On failure of second lookup, reject the records to third.
Finally Funnel them all all up to do your business logic.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'