Datastage client speed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tehavele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage client speed

Post by tehavele »

Hi ,

In our project we are using Datastage 8.1 on HP UX platform. Client and Server are located in different countries. What we have found when we work at Client side using datastage designer it is working very slow. It takes a lot of time to edit soomething. It seems that there are two modes of datastage. Active and Non-active. Active is when we can work on datastage and it is of only 2-3 seconds. Non-active mode is where datastage designer is dead and it is alive till 15 to 30 seconds. So in an hour's work we are actually working for 15 minutes.

We have reported this probem to our admin he said it is due to space problem on the server side. It is need to incrase till 32 to 64 GB.

Any help is appreciated on why this is happening and how we can resolve it.

Regards,
Tejas
Tejas
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Not sure how the space issue in Server side will affect the Client performance to a great extent.
The connectivity between Server and Cleint is through network. Its obvious that if the data center is at very high distance for each data packet to reach easily, you ll get the lag during work.
Did you try virtual desktop / Citrix / Remote desktop which can be enabled from the same or atleast the site which as good connectivity with the server site.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kwwilliams
Participant

Re: Datastage client speed

Post by kwwilliams »

The client and server communicate a lot, if they are located in different countries I expect that you are experiencing delays due to all of the communication. I had a similar issue a little over a year ago and we found it more productive to turn link markings off when you are editing or creating a job. This is because after every stage edit the client is verifying all of the link markings in a job, not just the ones you changed.

You should probably raise an issue with your support provider to see if they have any known issues that may be causing this issue.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Being a fat client, distance kills speed as you've noticed. Something like a Citrix server, as suggested, would solve that problem for you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tehavele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tehavele »

Thanks guys. The proble is more clear now. I would suggest above options to our admin team.

We raised the call with local admin team at client side.Surprisingly Client speed has improved now. I verified with the network team they said thay have not done anything. But I will observe it for 2-3 days if it maintains the same speed. Once again thanks for your answers.
Tejas
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What else is happening on the LAN where the client machines are?

Once upon a time I encountered a day when the network was woefully slow, having been OK the day before. It turned out that 75 people were watching a major sporting event live in their browsers. Vale bandwidth!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tehavele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tehavele »

Hi Ray ,

We checked with network team where client is installed they said everything is fine.
Tejas
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They would. How do they explain the slowness?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.