version 8.0 and 8.1 on same solaris server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

telenet_bi
Premium Member
Premium Member

version 8.0 and 8.1 on same solaris server

Post by telenet_bi »

hi,
we're currently running datastage 8.0.1 and want to start the project to upgrade to 8.1 (latest version with all fixpacks). Because we had a lot of stability issues when moving to 8.0 we want to move slowly. However we don't have spare servers to install this on.

So question is: can we install and run these 2 versions on the same machine? what would be the things to watch out for?

some extra info
- it's purely datastage, no fast track or information analyzer,..
- sun solaris 10
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. For version 8.anything, one engine tier per machine. It can share that machine with a version 7 server, but not with another version 8 server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
telenet_bi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by telenet_bi »

Let me explain our current setup a bit further:
Currently we are using 2 servers in our production environment. One runs all parts of the engine (except the DB which is an Oracle DB on another solaris server). The second one is reffered to in our config files to put processing on that machine and is also used as failover in case the first one fails.

If I understand correctly that the engine tier is the problem we could think about a setup where we run the 8.0 engine on machine A, run the 8.1 engine on machine B. At the start we only move 1 project from 8.0 to 8.1, so we keep the B server to do processing for the A server. Once more projects are moved we can rebalance the load trough our configfiles.

Offcource the failover possibilities are then gone. Would this situation work?
telenet_bi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by telenet_bi »

hi,
after the questions below we started on the assumption to do an upgrade in place. We're now trying that on a poc environment. This is not running smoothly .
In the contacts we had with support during this they have tried to push us to a situation where we reinstall instead of doing the update. This is not preffered for us since the downtime would be too long (importing code alone will take more then a day, after the uninstall+ reinstall).

When we mentioned this they came up with following scenario:
Running 8.0 and 8.1 together are not impossible as we do so in house BUT this has very restrictive ressource and installation requirements that are not fully documented and need to be controlled under consulting.
Since I've here seen a lot more informed reactions then from the average IBM consultant, I think this is a challenge for some of you.

(to be clear : this is not a request to work this out for me, I understand that that question is too big for this type of forum, but if you want a weekend-challenge, why not this one?)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM's official position is as I stated: only one engine tier per machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Why do you need 8.0 and 8.1 in one machine .
1.Upgrade 8.0 to 8.1
2.8.0 and 8.1 by using mulit client manager.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sreeni