Using $PROFDEF as default value in Parameter Set

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Using $PROFDEF as default value in Parameter Set

Post by Nicole »

When attempting to access a parameter set, I continue to receive the error message 'Invalid argument value. SQLSTATE=HY009
DSTAGE-DB2CLI-0005`:`Unable to connect to DB2 server '#DBParams.WCS_DB#

It seems that even if I enter the actual value in the default value - I am still getting this error - so it seems it is more an issue with my job accessing the parameter set.

If I use a regular parameter (not a parameter set) and I enter the default value $PROFDEF, it gives me an odd error: `Unable to connect to DB2 server 'NOTLIKELYDSCAPIOP_$WCS_DBNOTLIKELY'. ($WCS_DB is the environment variable) - so that isn't working either - meaning it is not properly accessing the $PROFDEF environment variables as it should be

And again, if I try to use a parameter set as we ultimately wish to - it doesn't even recognize the parameter set name - and says 'invalid argument value '#DBParams.WCS_DB#'

Any advice would be appreciated!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What stage are you using and where exactly in it are you attempting to "access" this parameter set value?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

I am using the DB2 UDB stage and I am just trying to set the 'Server name' - eventually we want to include the username and password, but decided to just see if we could get the Server Name to access the parameter set and access the actual value in the user defined environment variables by using $PROJDEEF.

So, in the 'Server Name' value - I have something like #DSParams.WCS_DB# - this doesn't want to work - also, don't you need to use the preceding '$' on the environment variable name when you use it in the job?? But neither works - with or without.

chulett wrote:What stage are you using and where exactly in it are you attempting to "access" this parameter set value? ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Did you actually create a Parameter Set called "DSParams"? That name jumps out at me as there's actually a system file by that name.
-craig

Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

I'm sorry - actually it's called DBParams - not DSParams - but still when I used it it gave me the invalid argument value - my DS admin said that there might be some patches we may need to install - she is looking into it. Could that be an issue? Or do you think this should be working? Have there been any known issues with accessing parameter sets? And the $PROJDEF environment variables?
chulett wrote:Did you actually create a Parameter Set called "DSParams"? That name jumps out at me as there's actually a system file by that name. ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Which 8.x version do you have? Unless it's 8.1 then you do need a bunch of patches to get everything working and 8.1 probably needs one or two as well. Best to check with your official support provider, as you are doing.
-craig

Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

Ok, we are still using 8.0 but are supposed to be upgrading soon. I'll try to get the patches installed asap and see if that works. If it doesn't, i'll come back to you guys :)
chulett wrote:Which 8.x version do you have? Unless it's 8.1 then you do need a bunch of patches to get everything working and 8.1 probably needs one or two as well. Best to check with your official support provider, as you are doing.
Manu1
Participant

Post by Manu1 »

Hi Nicole,

Have you built the Job right from the Scratch or you have modified an existing Job?
Manu
Datastage Devoloper
Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

From what I remember, I built it from scratch (I began the job a month or so ago) - are there issues with modifying an existing job?

Manu1 wrote:Hi Nicole,

Have you built the Job right from the Scratch or you have modified an existing Job?
Manu1
Participant

Post by Manu1 »

Nicole wrote:From what I remember, I built it from scratch (I began the job a month or so ago) - are there issues with modifying an existing job?

I am also facing the same issue Nicole when I tried to modify the existing job.So,waiting for the resolution just like you.

What is the version that you are using -- ours is 8.0.1

If u get any update on this Issue Please inform me also.I will also do the same.

Any Update from your Admin reg the Patch.
Manu
Datastage Devoloper
Manu1
Participant

Post by Manu1 »

Hi Nicole,

My Issue was resolved after Installing the Fixpack(Patch).So,Installing the same would resolve your Issue also.
Manu
Datastage Devoloper
Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

That's excellent to hear! Thank you for your input. I will stress to my admins that they should install the fix asap. I haven't heard back from them, but I know that they were going to do this.

Thanks so much for everyone's input :)

And yes, we are using 8.01 - but soon to have 8.1 installed - looking forward to it!

Nicole

My Issue was resolved after Installing the Fixpack(Patch).So,Installing the same would resolve your Issue also.