Conversion of XML file to CSV file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suneyes
Participant

Conversion of XML file to CSV file

Post by suneyes »

Hi,
We have a requirement for conversion of an XML file to a CSV file with some transformations in the middle .
I didn't find any file stages related to an xml file in my version of datastage(7.5.1A).
Can any body enlighten me about how it can be done.

Any kind of help is very much appreciated. :D
sun
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome! :D

Are you saying your installation does not have the XML Input, XML Output and XML Transformer stages available? If that's the case, then whomever performed your install chose not to include them for some reason. To solve this, rerun the install script and choose "Install additional plug-ins".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suneyes
Participant

wheater to use a server job or a parallel job

Post by suneyes »

Hi craig,
Thanks for the reply. :)
I have found xml plugins in my DS.
I tried using a folder stage as an input stage to XML input stage.but it is possible only in a server job. but our requirement is to use a parallel job.
can anyone help me with the way we can feed an xml file to an XML input stage in a parallel job.

there is only one xml input file which needs to be converted into a CSV file with some transformations in the middle.

Thanks in advance
sun
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Challenge the requirement to use a parallel job. You are reading ONE FILE, a sequential operation. You are writing ONE FILE, a sequential operation. Parallel execution is a waste of time in this case, and you don't need the unnecessary overheads thereof. Server jobs will be supported into the indefinite future (minimum five years, probably much more, not least because job sequences are server jobs, but also because there are lots of customers out there using them) - that statement was made by IBM's world wide product manager for DataStage at last year's Information on Demand conference.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, use a Server job for this task.
-craig

suneyes
Participant

Thanks for your valuable suggestions

Post by suneyes »

atlast I implemented the the conversion of XML file to CSV without a transformer.

need to incorporate business rules in the transformer.
Thanks all for ur valuable inputs.
:D
sun
scorpion
Participant

Post by scorpion »

Hi Sun,

Could u Just explain the group how u implemented this?

thanks,
sampath
Thanx&Regards
scorpion
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sampath - please start your own post. That way we know your particulars and you can explain what problem you are facing. Include details. Many details. And leave 'U' out of it.
-craig