what is diff between configuration file and node

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

seshikumar
Participant

what is diff between configuration file and node

Post by seshikumar »

please let me know the diff between Configuration file and Node

Node is nothing but cpu?what is cpu?
seshu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A configuration file contains definitions of processing nodes.

Your statement "Node is nothing but cpu" is totally incorrect. A processing node is a logical construct, totally unrelated to CPU (central processing unit). A node is a set of resources that is available for processing data, including a machine location, disk space for storing data, disk space for scratch space, and so on.

I believe you are confusing the statement "the number of nodes is unrelated to the number of CPUs". You can have more nodes than CPUs, you can have fewer nodes than CPUs, you can have the same number of nodes as CPUs. And the number of nodes used by a particular run of a job is controlled by which configuration file is selected (through the APT_CONFIG_FILE environment variable) when that job run is requested.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

On the off chance that the "what is cpu?" question is for real, find an in-depth answer here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is CPU? It's a TLA!
:lol:

Apologies to anyone whose first language is not English. My joke works well in English once it is understood that TLA is an acronym for "three letter acronym".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Um, yah... 'works well'... :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers