Invalid assignment of quote character on sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What is the actual data type of the last column? I know you keep saying they are 'integer' but it doesn't matter what the actual values are, just the data type declared in the stage. It must be some kind of string for it to be quoting it... either that or you've uncovered a very odd bug.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by max.madsen »

Hi Hulett, thanks for the attention man.

I agree with you, the only thing that matters in my opinion (too) is that the datatype used on this stage, not the values. I explained the entire context because i'm thinking that this is an odd bug too.
In this case, both, datatypes and data are integer, all of them, integer(10) to be more precise. I haven't any guess of what could be, i've tryed a lot of tests, but none succeded.

Hope you guys could show me some light :-)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you please post the record schema? Does this contain {quote=single} or similar for the integer fields? If so, get into the extended properties and change to None.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by max.madsen »

Hi Wurlod, Thanks for the attention

Sorry man, but i haven't understood what you was trying to say with record schema, but i'll describe some configurations and hope that some of it can answer your question.

SQL Type = Integer
Lenght = 10
Scale = <blank>
Nullable = No

Data assigned to this field : integer counter

Record Level/Final Delimiter = end
Field Defaults/Delimiter = ;
Field Defaults/Quote = "
Extended Field Property : field level/quote not set

I haven't used any configuration of field's extended properties. I have done it once while testing the problem, setting field level/quote=none at the extended properties level of the third field fixed the problem, however i'm treating this as a workaround, otherwise i'll have to set this property to every field of every job.

The most strange issue on this case is that we had the same error on Datastage Enterprise 7.5.1A and 7.5.2. (Distinct Server, version, place and job with the same problem)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you import the table definition for the Sequential File you can specify a global quote character. On the Format tab of the link properties you can also specify the default quote character. Your properties currently have this set to " - try setting it to None.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by max.madsen »

Hi Ray, good morning and thanks for the attention

Yeah, i can do this, but this isn't what i'm looking for. I need my output file with " as quote character on string datatypes.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Quite. Specify the Quote Character property (on the Format tab) as double.
Luciana
Participant

Post by Luciana »

If you to specify the Quote Character property (on the Format tab) as double ...

In jobs server, the DataStage places quote character in the fields of the type char or varchar, not integer.
Field1(char);Field2(integer);Field3(char);Field4(integer)
"AB";123;"DS";100
"AC";124;"DT";111

In jobs parallel, the DataStage places quote character in all the fields, independent if it is char, varchar or integer.
Field1(char);Field2(integer);Field3(char);Field4(integer)
"AB";"123";"DS";"100"
"AC";"124";"DT";"111"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Very well, if the default behaviour is not what you require, specify the Quote character at the individual field level - right click on the row in the Columns grid choose Edit Row, and adjust the individual quote characters there.
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by max.madsen »

Thanks guys, i will have to set the property for each field, for each job. Annoying bug this one, i'll mark the topic as workaround. Thanks