Table Definitions- Dynamic Update

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Munish
Participant

Table Definitions- Dynamic Update

Post by Munish »

Hi All,

Is any one aware of any utility in Datastage which could help us in dynamically changing the schema in all the stages if the Table Definition, which those stages are using, is changed.

To explain it further,
We have build end to end ETL with some 70 different jobs with around 1000 stages.

Now, one of the data type is changed from
Decimal(16,2) to Decimal(16,3).

I am looking for any automate system to do make that change rather than modifying it manually.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Munish
MK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no such utility in DataStage.

Others will post that you can export the project and effect a global search and replace.

While this is true, I don't agree that it fits your requirement for "in DataStage".

Others may suggest that you hack the DataStage Repository. While this is possible, it is of dubious legality and may void your warranty. And any method you learn will not apply once you get version 8.0.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can use RCP to some extend.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Munish
Participant

Post by Munish »

Thanks for the reply,
I am using RCP where ever I can.

Thanks and regards,
Munish
MK
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It should be a case where the source has metadata defined, and the rest of the stages should receive the metadata info through RCP. And in that case if you change the source stage, it will reach till its boundary.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Any time RCP propagates a column is another time that you can not perform a lineage analysis to answer questions about derivation of results.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I have a question, how do you find these changes in metadata? I think you need to find them in order to fix them.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea: Data Elements

Use them all the time. Can perform Usage Analysis on them.
vdr123
Participant

Post by vdr123 »

Wanted to know if there is way to do this in 8.0.1(PX)

Or is there any routine or function we can write to to change the metadata table def's used.
I remember doing this in server, you can write small basic code and change the table def's definitions.

Also, how is the table definitions liked to the stages in a job. Stage shows where its been imported from.
Is the link active or just information purpose?

There is also something called shared meta-data in PX - did anyone try this? I guess we need access to a Server database to create this repository?

Any thoughts?