Reading SAS Datasets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxguy
Participant

Reading SAS Datasets

Post by dspxguy »

Hi,

We have SAS datasets coming as datasource and we transform those datasets into text input files and then process it in our DataStage jobs. Now we want to read SAS datasets through DataStage.
I have few questions to ask you folks.

1) Will we be able to read native SAS Datasets after we install SAS component ( licensed version) on DataStage?

2) Do we need to install SAS Server on our ETL Server?

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

1). Yes.
2). It's better to have SAS server installed on the same box as the DS server. A license of SAS is needed for each physical node. It's just too expensive!
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

lstsaur wrote:2). It's better to have SAS server installed on the same box as the DS server.
This may be incorrect if you have SAS/Share licensed. Do you? If so, you should be able to access your SAS data "across the network". It may still be "better" to have SAS on your local machine, just as it would be "better" to have Oracle, SQL Server, etc on your local DS machine to reduce network latency issues. But it may not be essential.
Some people are the Michael Jordan's of Datastage. I'm more like Muggsy Bogues :-)
devo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devo »

This post is a bit old, but I was hoping to get some more insight from someone on this. We have SAS/Share and I have been tasked with connecting to with Datastage over our network. I am not entirely sure where to start.

- Can I use the SAS stage to connect to SAS/Share? If so, can you advise how to configure?

- If the SAS stage cannot be used, I believe I should be able to connect via JDBC. Is this correct?

- If JDBC, I believe I need to use the Java Client stage. I am not an expert in Java, and not familiar with the Java client. Everything I am finding on this stage is slightly confusing to me. (could just be me) Would there be a Jar file from SAS/Share that we would need to place on the Datastage server?
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Talk to your SAS/Share Server Admn. to ascertain that the connectivity from DS to SAS has been configured. If everything is configured correctly, you must use SAS stage to read/write your SAS datasets and I am also assuming that you know how to put the pertinent info. in the liborch library of the stage properties tab.

No, JDBC wouldn't help at all.
devo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devo »

Thank you! That is getting me in the right direction. I guarantee that nothing has been configured between SAS/Share and Datastage yet, but I can work with the SAS administrators to configure. What type of connectivity needs to be configured?
Grant Dever
Programmer Analyst Sr
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

What version of DS are you running? Hopefully you are not still using v7.5.x, as I said before it's just to expensive for SAS PACK. However, from v8.x and above SAS stage is included.
devo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devo »

We are running 8.7, so yes SAS stages are included.
devo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devo »

More information more to the point on this question. From the IBM documentation for SAS, the SAS executable location needs to be specified in the configuration file. If we are using SAS/Share the idea is that we would not have SAS installed on the Datastage server. So how would the SAS executable be specified?
Grant Dever
Programmer Analyst Sr