multiple line string in transformer derivation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

multiple line string in transformer derivation

Post by roblew »

We're migrating a job from 8.1 to 8.7. It compiles and runs successfully in 8.1, but gives an error in 8.7.

The derivation for a column in a Transformer output link is a constant string. The string is multiple lines, enclosed in double quotes.

example of a multiple line string:
"one
two"
Does anyone know if this is a bug or expected behavior in v8.7?

Code: Select all

##E IIS-DSEE-TBLD-00076 02:07:18(000) <main_program> Error when checking composite operator: Subprocess command failed with exit status 256.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFSR-00019 02:07:18(001) <main_program> Could not check all operators because of previous error(s)
##W IIS-DSEE-TFTM-00012 02:07:18(002) <transform> Error when checking composite operator: The number of reject datasets "0" is less than the number of input datasets "1".
FYI, I've found this online help page in the v9.1 documentation, but it seems like it's talking about the column name itself, and not the derivation.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iisin ... age07.html
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

first of all. are you able to compile any job having a parallel transformer stage??
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

Yes, we are able to compile parallel jobs with the transformer stage. In fact, we are able to compile this same job, if we just make the derivation a single line.
Last edited by roblew on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

So, did you provide all the error messages and warnings you are getting during compilation? Are you getting any additional error or warning messages?
Priyadarshi Kunal

priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

This indeed is complaining about the derivation missing terminating " character. Although you can change the derivation to concatenate char(10) for unix and char(10):char(13) for windows to get the same output. I think you should contact the official support provider.
Priyadarshi Kunal

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

IBM support has replied with the following response
multi line derivation has never been supported with DataStage. If it did work, it might not have done what you would have liked it to do and was fixed to not allow it to occur in the future.

The job will not compile because constants have to have an ending quote before an end of line is encountered.
Not the response we were hoping for. We'll have to use a workaround (tbd).
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Well that's not the kind of reply developers hope from product support while upgrading to newer version.

Anyways the workaround is mentioned in my previous post using concatenation of line feed like "one":char(10):"two". Depends on the requirement though.
Priyadarshi Kunal

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

priyadarshikunal wrote:Anyways the workaround is mentioned in my previous post using concatenation of line feed like "one":char(10):"two". Depends on the requirement though.
Thanks. I'll suggest to our developer. They're using it in a rather odd way, which took me by surprise. They've put an entire shell script in the derivation and is writing to a sequential file on the server. It writes out the script at run-time, and they're using an incrementing stage variable, which they use in the constraint so that it only writes it once. Sort of clever, but unfortunately breaks in 8.7. I don't see a reason why they need to do this, as the script is not dynamic. I'll also suggest they simply store the script on the server, and call it using a sequence.