Possibilities in re-use of jobs ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AdrienLC
Participant

Possibilities in re-use of jobs ?

Post by AdrienLC »

Hello everybody,

I started to use DataStage about one month ago and after reading a lot of documentations, I wonder what are the possibilities in re-use jobs, instead of re-develop the same jobs many times (when minor changes occurs, with same stages), particularly with the transformation job.

Thanks for your help.

Adrien
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

There are many opportunities for creating re-usable components, such as Data Connections, Parameter Sets and Routines. As well it is possible to create re-usable jobs using techniques such as schema files and runtime column propagation.

You might like to research these in the DataStage manuals.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
AdrienLC
Participant

Post by AdrienLC »

Thank you for the answer and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

I will follow your advices and read deeper the DataStage manuals to find details on these components.
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

In addition, you should research Parallel Shared Containers and Multi-Instance Jobs. Also research the option to create re-usable templates with the "New Template from Job" option which is accessed from the File...New dialog box under the Assistants folder in DS Designer.

There is a great Redbook that documents all of these options:

<A HREF=http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/s ... InfoSphere DataStage Parallel Framework Standard Practices</A>
AdrienLC
Participant

Post by AdrienLC »

Thanks to you cppwiz, I will see it.