Datetime on Sequential File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kld05
Charter Member
Charter Member

Datetime on Sequential File

Post by kld05 »

I have a value of Mar 23 2009 12:00AM on a sequentual file that I need to convert to 20090323 format. I'm wondering what the best approach is. String manipulation or date conversion functions.

Thanks in advance guys.
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Unless DS has been messing me around, you can't do date manipulation unless the field is in the date format specified by your project, which I suspect will require string manipulation first...

Of course, if your project specifies date format as MMM DD YYYY then I guess you are already halfway there
betterthanever
Participant

Re: Datetime on Sequential File

Post by betterthanever »

are you writing file to file??? or from file to a DB table???
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

When you say "on" a sequential file, do you actually mean *in* a sequential file? You won't be able to do pure "string manipulation" as you can't just rearrange the original value to get the desired result. So, hack off the time and then use the normal "date conversion functions" for the rest.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Conversion functions StringToTimestamp(), TimestampToDate() and DateToString() should do it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.