Oracle connectivity and imp table def in IS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracle connectivity and imp table def in IS

Post by ds_is_fun »

1. I need to connect to Oracle through Enterprise stage.
I understand once connections are established, I will need to go the Oracle Enterprise stage and go to DB options and enter user and password. Now, this should enable me to connect to Oracle through native connectivity right?
2. Now once I'm able to connect through Enterprise Stage I need to import table defs. How would I do that?

thanks
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Click the Columns tab-->Load of the Oracle_Enterprise stage.
ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_is_fun »

No I mean loading from the database. Yes you can hit load in the columns tab but that expects you to have pre-loaded metadata.
My question more is related to, how do load table defs(metadata) into the table defs repository in Information Server/DS8.
Do I need to use import functionality and ODBC table defs?
In that case, from an admin point of view he will have to create a DSN entry in the odbc.ini and uvodbc files. I would like to avoid ODBC.
Thanks!
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Click on Import Table Definition, then choose either ODBC, Orchestrate, or Plug-in.
ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_is_fun »

To connect to Oracle there are two ways -
1. OCI stage
2. Oracle Enterprise stage.
Let us consider Oracle Enterprise Stage. I understand this stage as native connectivity stage. This means that you don't have to use import from ODBC for table definitions.
In that case, the question again reverts back to -
How do I import my table defs if I'm currently using Oracle Enterprise stage?
Plug-in?
Unfortunately, our admin here doesn't know much about connectivity. Yes! thats how pathetic corp hiring could me sometimes! :-)
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

No, you can also connect to Oracle using either DRS or ODBC stage.

What you need to do is importing the meta data "FIRST" using either Plug-in, Orchestarte, or ODBC.

The point here is even thought you are going to use the Oracle_Enterpise stage, you still can use the table definitions imported by ODBC, Orchestrage, or Plug-in.
ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_is_fun »

I think to connect through ODBC for tables def we will need to establish ODBC connection params in the files odbc.ini and uvodbc.config files.
This means you would be beating the concept of native connectivity.

Any native connection should use full thrust of its optimization by avoiding an extra layer (i.e ODBC).

In that case, I think you mean plug-in for table defs when using Oracle Enterprise.

Can someone suggest what is the best way of importing table defs through native connection in Oracle?
Thanks!