Help to find training cources by DataStage EE v8.x

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

databind
Premium Member
Premium Member

Help to find training cources by DataStage EE v8.x

Post by databind »

Hello!!!
Is anyone can help me to find the training cources by DataStage EE version 8(HAWK).
I couldn't find anything about version-8
except the one cource DS Essentials 8

I am looking for cources regarding to
1) installation and configuration DS EE on Windows(DS EE Administartion)
2) DataStage EE Essentials
3) DataStage Advanced
Any links or advices would be really appreciated

thanks!
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Check out the IBM Courses. Search for Datastage. I have been on the DS EE Essentials and Advanced. Their ok. The Essential will help if your new to the product, but experience and trial and error out way the courses. As for installation, ask IBM to assist. You will gain most of your experience from this Forum. Become a member, it is worth the cost.
Jim Stewart
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HAWK has flew away a year ago. Ther is no more HAWK.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM has a version 8 class for essentials, and will be releasing an advanced class sometime soon. I have no information about whether or not they are planning an administration class - contact IBM Learning Services. That said, the version 7.5 classes for advanced and administration have a high degree of overlap into version 8.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Ray,

I have been to the courses for EE. They have an essential and advanced. They are working on the EE administration course. The problem with these courses is, if the instructor is good, you benefit otherwise it's an expensive venture. My colleagues took the advanced course in Toronto, Canada and it was horrible. The instructor had limited knowledge and didn't complete all the training info. Complaint were filed and that all I know. I went to Chicago and got lucky because the instructor was pretty good.
Jim Stewart
rjhcc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhcc »

I've also had the 8.0 essentials training. While the course has potential, they try to teach everything so fast, the memory is gone before it has a chance to sink in!

Let's just say that good instructors are hard to come by these days.

He would not cover any information on the install or tuning, as that is considered advanced and they want you to take yet another course for that.

I have found that DSXchange is the best forum for all things DataStage.

Since the ball was dropped some years ago, DSXchange and the posters have saved the day.

Well worth the price of admission.
rjhcc
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, I'll take your word for it.

The most recent advanced class I've seen is for version 7.5 (course code DX436). And there's nothing newer mentioned in IBM's Course Catalog for Jan-Jun 2008. There is, however, an essentials class for version 8 (course code DX444).

Based on IBM's course coding conventions, the course code for an advanced EE class for version 8 would be DX446. A "whole of IBM" web search failed to locate this course code.

So, if you've been sold a version 8 advanced class, can you please let me know the course code, and when and where it was offered?
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

You are correct. DX436 refers to 7.5.1 EE. But in general, the course still deals with the parallel version of the product. 7.5.1 has many similarities with the 8.0.1 version. We discussed partitioning, routines and most of the components that reside in 8.0.1. I would consider DX436 can be considered the DS EE advanced course.
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM does have a "what's new in version 8" set of offerings for DataStage, from memory the course code is DX800.
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Is there any third-party training available for DS v8? The IBM training and Powerpoint slides are really terrible and we have new people to get up to speed that don't have an ETL background. Besides the IBM manuals and Powerpoint training, are there any other good options?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not yet.