Failed to open RT_LOG996 file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nguyenh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Failed to open RT_LOG996 file

Post by nguyenh »

Hi,

I am running the dsexport to export a project at the command line and Datastage windows pops up saying that "Failed to open RT_LOG966 file."

I have to manually click ok everytime it pops up a window with different log file's numbers. There are total of 9 log files Datastage failed to open them. I found them in the project directory and it's a directory, not a file.
I went to each of the RT_LOG* directory, some of them are empty, some of them have OVER.30 files. I have two questions:
1- Why can't Datastage open them?
2- Can I remove those directories from a unix command line or any Datastage utility to clean them up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
HN
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi nguyenh,

Can you post the command that was executed?

Thanks,
Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
nguyenh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nguyenh »

Hi Whale,

Below is the command to export:
dsexport.exe /U=dsadm /P=xxxxxx /H=etlprod ETL_PROD ETL_PROD_20070809.dsx

Thanks,
HN
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you have RT_LOGnnnn Type 30 hashed files that are not directories containing exactly 3 files - DATA.30, OVER.30 and .Type30 they are corrupt. There are various ways to recover; fortunately log files can be cleaned up and removed without affecting other things. The simplest approach is to export the jobs in question, delete them in the project and then re-import them. You might also copy missing files from other log files, then clear the logs from the director.
nguyenh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nguyenh »

How do i tie the log file back to the job name so I can export the right job?

Thanks,
HN
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

From the DataStage command line (either through uvsh or from the Administrator) enter "LIST DS_JOBS WITH JOBNO = <number> @ID".
nguyenh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nguyenh »

Hi ArndW,

I run the command with log number. It returns job name, job number, and category. Then I open Datastage director and click to open the category where the jobs should be in but Datastage windows pops up saying "Failed to open RT_LOGnnn file." I have to click OK for 9 times for 9 different log files. After the category opened, I could not find the job names associate with each log number there but it said so when I run the "LIST DS_JOBS WITH JOBNO = 961". Now how do I clean them up when the jobs are not there?

Thanks,
HN
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Perhaps you don't purge your logs and this particular one has hit its 2GB limit?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You might need to go into DS.TOOLS and reindex your files; or perhaps just a refresh in the director might work to make the jobs visible. Also, try going in to the Manager to view the jobs.
nguyenh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nguyenh »

Hi ArndW,

Yes, I went to Datastage manager and sure they are there but not in Datastage director. I was able to open the job in Datastage designer but Could not compile it. So, export them off, then delete them from Datastge manager. Currently I am running the dsexport again and it never complains about "Failed to open RT_LOGnnn file."

So, I think we can mark this issue "RESOLVED"

Thanks for your help, ArndW.
HN