Oracle - unable to initialize plug-in (Windows)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nic
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oracle - unable to initialize plug-in (Windows)

Post by Nic »

What am I missing?
When trying to connect to the Oracle database I get the error "Unable to initialize plug-in". I have tried to search on the forums but all the similar discussions point to unix servers. We are using 2003 and installed version 10 of Oracle server and Oracle client. Configured the client and can access it with a db tool. The oracle_home and tnsnames look ok, the only thing I couldn't figure out is how to set up the equivalent of dsenv in Windows but there might be something else I am missing...

Any ideas?
Thanks very much
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no equivalent of dsenv on Windows. You can, of course, set environment variables through the System applet in Control Panel.

When you installed DataStage server, did you select the Oracle plug-in stage types? If not, try installing them now using the Package Installer on the server. (In fact, you might like to try installing in one project anyway, to see if that's a fix.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nic
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Nic »

ray.wurlod wrote:There is no equivalent of dsenv on Windows. You can, of course, set environment variables through the System applet in Control Panel.

When you installed DataStage server, did you select the Oracle plug-in stage types? If not, try installing them now using the Package Installer on the server. (In fact, you might like to try installing in one project anyway, to see if that's a fix.)
Thanks for your response. I have reinstalled the Oracle plug-in and it works.

Thanks very much, looks like the problem was that we installed DS first and then Oracle not the other way around. So reinstalling Oracle plug-in again seemed to have solved the problem.