EE parallel jobs on Linux

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MukundShastri
Premium Member
Premium Member

EE parallel jobs on Linux

Post by MukundShastri »

I want to install EE parallel edition on my PC using Linux. Has anybody done this ?

Can Linux be installed on the Laptop in a different partition as it already has Windows XP professional ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It can all be done. Of course, you can only boot one operating system at a time, so you will not be able to run your DataStage server on Linux and expect to be able to run your DataStage clients on Windows at the same time. Probably not what you had in mind. Also, your laptop probably doesn't really have enough memory for running serious parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have a look at vmware. They let you run virtual machines on your laptop. You should be able to download a free vmware server and a free Linux virtual appliance already installed and configured from the VMware Virtual Appliances. You can run the DataStage server in Linux and the client software on your Windows laptop with connectivity between them.

You need a LOT of RAM to do this, at least 2G for acceptable performance.

You might hit a problem with licenses. IBM-Ascential tend to send partners and clients licenses for one platform so you might need to request an evaluation Linux set if you only have a Windows set.