DB2 Enterprise Stage - Insert Into UNION ALL View

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

newsaur
Participant

DB2 Enterprise Stage - Insert Into UNION ALL View

Post by newsaur »

We have implemented pseudo range-partitioning in DB2 with UNION ALL views across multiple tables each capturing transactions of different months.

To make the ETL job less dependent on the underlying range-partitioning scheme, we wanted to insert records directly into the UNION ALL view using a DB2 Enterprise Stage.

When we do that we got the follow error:
<VIEW> does not exist or it is a view; you have to specify either a valid
table name or a valid alias; views are not supported for partitioning.

Is there any way to overcome / get around this such that DB2 Enterprise Stage will not try to working with the underlying DB2 table partitioning?

DB2 API stage will work, but I have heard that it does not perform very well. Is that true or is it comparable? (setting aside the fact that it doesn't leverage DB2 table partitioning).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

As I remember. the rules of SQL say You can't INSERT into a VIEW that is made from multiple tables. Is this still true?
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

Eric wrote:As I remember. the rules of SQL say You can't INSERT into a VIEW that is made from multiple tables. Is this still true?
Absolutely, the error message says it all - <VIEW> does not exist or it is a view.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
newsaur
Participant

Post by newsaur »

To Eric: Yep, DB2 allows inserting to a view under some conditions. Better yet the SQL optimizer will determine which underlying table is the target by looking at the predefined table column constraint, and therefore is able to prune the DML. This is a typical technique in DB2 to implement something smiilar to range-partitioning in Oracle.

To sud: Understood. Is there a way to get around this? E.g. some option that we can set to ask the DB2 Enterprise Stage not to doing any partitioning. (already tried to set the stage as "sequential" but it wouldn't work).
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

newsaur wrote:To Eric: Yep, DB2 allows inserting to a view under some conditions.
I beleive the condition is that the View has been created based on a Single Database Table.