Installation problem - unable to see the full palette

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Installation problem - unable to see the full palette

Post by bozenna »

We installed EE over DS7.5 on two servers. In the process of configuring and testing the installation, we came across a problem on one of the servers.

When connected to server1 we can see the full palette for paraller jobs, but when connectred to server2 we only see the server job palette with same icons appearing multiple times (e.g under Paraller Processing group we see multiple Transformer icons). The same client is being used to connect to both servers.

What could be the cause? Do we need to re-install EE on server2? We would like to avoid it if possible.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I hope the multiple transformer is not confused with Basic Transformer and PX Transformer.
I hope you also aware of the option to customize you pallet. Right click on the pallet and click on Customization Pallet.
Where in you can see list of all available icons.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you see all stage types when you choose Customize Palette ? If so your quick fix is to customize the palette and load all parallel stage types.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bozenna »

Thank you for your responses.
Yes, I am aware of the option to customize my palette. The problem is that I do not see the paraller icons anywhere, so there is nothing to customize from.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can give a try to restart the sever which has the issue. Since you just installed DS then it shouldnt be a big impact to reinstall again.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bozenna »

I have tried restarting the server several times. Also looked for differences between two installations - nothing jumped at me.
Re-installing is a problem since I have developers working on the server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use the Administrator client to verify that parallel job capability (Enterprise Edition) is correctly licensed on the server. Issue the CONFIG command from the Command window; if parallel job capability is licensed you will see a message to the effect that "-DSPX package is installed".
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bozenna »

Thanks Ray.

I have ran the command and got the folowing response:

'Warning licencing is in effect.

- DSPX package is installed
- DSSRV package is installed'

Should we worry about the warning?

During the installation we've got another warning:

command 'uvsh UPDATE.ACCOUNT' returned (9)

Could this be related? We have called IBM at the time, but were convinced that everythung is OK.
[/img]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't worry about the warning - it's a leftover from the first release after they decided to change the licensing strategy from per-project to per-CPU.
You do have parallel extender installed in that project.

Does this symptom occur on all clients connected to server2, or just one?

If just one I guess there's not much left to try than uninstalling the client, making sure it's completely uninstalled, then re-installing it.

The fact that UPDATE.ACCOUNT returned a non-zero value may indicate a problem with creating the project. As Administrator, execute this command from the Command window, and let us know the result.
bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bozenna »

This problem occurs on all clients.

I have tried to issue the command 'UPDATE.ACCOUNT', but without much success. After message 'Updating your "D_VOC" file (each "*" = 10 records)' it hangs on the first "*". There is no visible progress after several minutes. I finally closed the Administrator.

We started checking if this happens for all projects (we have 12) and found that the palette was visible for some (very few) projects.

Thanks again for your help.
daniel0623
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by daniel0623 »

Hi bozenna,
I don't know the reason why you can't see full palette.Ever I have same problem.Please do as follows,
1.Open your Designer on server1.And create a new parallel job.Then right click on palette.Choose customization-->save as,give a name of palette file.
2.copy palette file on server1 to server2
3.open your Designer on server2.Right click on palette.Choose customization-->load.Choose palette file to overwrite.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

Have you tried -> "right click on the palette -> customize -> Reset to factory default"
bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bozenna »

Thank you for the last two suggestions. I tried both of them.

Resetting to factory default did nothing - same problem as before.

The suggestion to copy from the "good" server was worth trying. I created the palette file and transmitted it to the "bad" server. After loading the file I can now see the PX icons, but they are all disabled (greyed-out).

When searching this forum with keyword 'UPDATE.ACCOUNT' I have found a post that described a very similar installation warning as the one we'e got. That posting suggested that the problem was caused by sudo installation and was fixed by re-doing the install as root. This would suggest some file ownership issue. I am investigating this now.
kommven
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kommven »

I believe there is a utility that shipped with your client called Multi-Client Manager.
You need to install and all clients with respect to server Version

You need to select the correct version using Multi-Client Manager to see complete pallete.

You need to to reset to factory defaults for the pallete(s) after correcting the client and connecting.

For verification
In your Designer
Help -> About DataStage Designer

Make sure that the version of Client Top part matches with Server Version on bottom part.
bozenna
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bozenna »

But first you need two versions of the client, right? Not the case here.