Issue while reading data from Oracle Table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is happening before you even get connected to Oracle. "Failed to find instance" usually suggests a problem on the DataStage server, either with the environment variables for Oracle set in dsenv, or in the tnsnames.ora file (or the fact that this can't be found).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

If this was an Oracle problem you would expect an ORA-SQL error code.

Do other parallel jobs run ok?

As the error mentions "node node1" I would first check the Parallel configuration file works for other parallel jobs.
Are you running sqlplus on the same machine that the DataStage Server is installed?
Does the DataStage user have access to the Oracle Client install on the DataStage server?
sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sanjay »

Thanks for your replies. Thought of adding some more information:

1. we have a local database Oracle 10g R1 (running on the same machine as datastage server for STAGING/Operational Data Store.
2. we have a remote database Oracle 10g R1 (running on diff machine) for core DataWarehouse DB.
3. we have a remote database Oracle 9i R2 (running on diff machine), which is one our source system. Some of our job requires, extraction of data from this schema.
4. the datastage server is configured with 2 nodes.
5. we have lots of parallel jobs, accessing the db (1) and (2) as we have control over those dbs. in the sense, we have given SELECT permission on all those dictionaries that are stipulated by DataStage. but when we tried to connect to db (3), we are getting this issue, and thats where we dont have control to grant all such SELECT privileges.
6. we could connect to all three dbs (1,2,3) from the same machine where we installed DataStage using sqlplus. this shows that the tnsnames.ora is configured properly.

Please share with us if you think the connection between DataStage Enterprise Edition 7.5.1a (this uses oracle 10g 64bit client lib) and 9i R2, could be an issue.

Please reply if you need any further information.

Thanks,
Srini
yajuwendra
Participant

Post by yajuwendra »

sanjay wrote:Thanks for your replies. Thought of adding some more information:

1. we have a local database Oracle 10g R1 (running on the same machine as datastage server for STAGING/Operational Data Store.
2. we have a remote database Oracle 10g R1 (running on diff machine) for core DataWarehouse DB.
3. we have a remote database Oracle 9i R2 (running on diff machine), which is one our source system. Some of our job requires, extraction of data from this schema.
4. the datastage server is configured with 2 nodes.
5. we have lots of parallel jobs, accessing the db (1) and (2) as we have control over those dbs. in the sense, we have given SELECT permission on all those dictionaries that are stipulated by DataStage. but when we tried to connect to db (3), we are getting this issue, and thats where we dont have control to grant all such SELECT privileges.
6. we could connect to all three dbs (1,2,3) from the same machine where we installed DataStage using sqlplus. this shows that the tnsnames.ora is configured properly.

Please share with us if you think the connection between DataStage Enterprise Edition 7.5.1a (this uses oracle 10g 64bit client lib) and 9i R2, could be an issue.

Please reply if you need any further information.

Thanks,
Srini

Hi

I too had a similar sitauation , and the problem was 64bit client lib Path . You try chaging your dsenv to point the 32lib client PATH .and recheck all DB requred parameters in dsenv . It will surely work .

Regards
Yajuwendra