Sequential File Stage in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srikanthd1978
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sequential File Stage in PX

Post by srikanthd1978 »

people,

When using a sequential stage with the read method as 'File Pattern', i cannot use "Number of Readers Per Node" option as they are mutually exclusive..

can someone explain why they are mutually exculusive ??

thanks
gh_amitava
Participant

Post by gh_amitava »

They are mutually exclusive because DataStage will read Sequential file in sequential mode.. Row by Row.. Only one node will be used to read the entire file.

Regards
Amitava
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The number of Readers Per Node has a complex start up involving counting the size of the files, dividing the file across the specified number of readers to partition your data. I'm guessing that they don't allow this option for File Patterns due to complexity it adds to the stage code. It may be an option that is much easier to apply programmatically when you have a fully defined set of files rather then a fuzzy file pattern.

You can get around the problem by retrieving your file list at the sequence job level and running the job multiple times with different file names.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As well as everything Vincent said, note that Readers Per Node is intended only for fixed-width format files. It's fully described in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

One final note - the goal of multiple readers is to take advantage of multiple nodes - instead of one single stream of data, you have as many as there are readers. On the other hand, if you are using either filesets or the file pattern, you will already be taking advantage of multiple nodes - one per file

Now, if you could specify multiple readers to be use for each file (fixed length, of course), that would be great - but I believe that would be a discussion for another forum ( PX enhancements?)