Extracting Description from each Stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rbk
Participant

Extracting Description from each Stage

Post by rbk »

Hey everybody,
Hope everyone is doing good..
Request your expertise in helping me with this query.

Currently we are trying to reverse engineer a few projects and extract the functionality.

This is to be done with DataStage 7.5 and 11.5.

Is it possible to extract the description from the columns tab of the source stage ?
(Description from the columns tab inside each stage)

Currently we generate the reports using the "Generate Report" option but the descriptions do not seem to be available in them.

With 11.5 I think Xmeta might have this information. We do not have access to XMETA..But if XMETA access were available, it would be great to have some pointers regarding the extraction.

Thank you.
Cheers,
RBK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These can also be retrieved from DS_JOBOBJECTS in the local repository. The Columns collection is a set of associated multi-valued fields, amongst which are the column name and description.

Since it's the weekend, I don't have access to DataStage to check the actual field numbers right now. Someone else may like to chip in with these.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

I have C that can pull an 11.x table export into an excel csv file. From memory it pulls column name, data type, description, length, maybe one other field. If that is useful.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course you do. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The Description of a Stage is easily retrieved using the Query tool in IGC.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

chulett wrote:Of course you do. :wink:
Heh this is one of the most useless programs I wrote. Every once in a blue moon, maybe 2, 3 times a year, someone who does not have any access to datastage or the suite wants a table def from us. When we first got datastage (and I had just been hired) these requests were common so I cranked out something to make it simple and quick.

Given that the table defs that people want are invariably a mirror of actual database tables that can be looked at in any tool, its was a total waste of time, in hindsight. I just didn't realize the loop at the time (database imported to datastage exported and given back to database admin/modeler is a circle).

And of course its triply useless for anyone with the tool suite.
But its here if someone wants it, for whatever reason!