Install Server and PX separately on same system

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sid19
Participant

Install Server and PX separately on same system

Post by sid19 »

Hi All,

One request came to us to Install DataStage Parallel with 3 Core and DataStage Server with 8 core on same machine. Is this possible? If yes, how to do it? Also, do we required special licensing for this?

Thanks,
Sid
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It would make more sense to give the parallel edition more cores. I'm not sure it make any sense to give server edition more than one core (anyone?). It sounds like an unusual request.

But yes, it may be possible depending on your hardware and operating system. Talk to your server administrators about getting a couple of logical partitions setup. There are all sorts of ways they can virtualize hardware these days.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

IBM licensing is typically PVU based, which means they charge based on the number and type of CPU's. As long as your PVU count doesn't exceed your license, I don't believe they care how you install the software.

Contact your IBM sales person and they can confirm if the installation will be within your license agreement.

Why are they requesting separate Server / PX installations? They can peacefully co-exist and share all the resources.

Edited note: I re-read your question. I now suspect they want to improve Server horsepower and hope to do so without increasing their PX licensing, which is probably for only 3 CPU's. Again - because licensing terms change frequently, I'll refer you to your IBM sales rep.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

An AIX LPAR can be assigned N amount of cores. If you want to have a host for Server with X cores and a host with PX with Y cores, you can do so. But they will be separate hostnames on the same physical box. Different install paths, different engine installs, etc...

That is probably NOT what you want since you will be paying for two separate licenses.

You can't have a varying amount of cores on one host depending on the flavor of the job running. (Server vs PX type jobs).

IMHO, your best bet is to license a PX box since that can also run server jobs. Pay once for N amount of cores and run both Server and PX jobs in the same engine. Just learn to schedule your jobs better.

I'm just not a big fan of Server jobs in general.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm a major fan of server jobs.

You can't install a server-only and parallel-only instance on the same machine. As noted by others, they co-reside in one Information Server instance.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.