DSX members might like to see the granddaddy of DataStage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peternolan9
Participant

DSX members might like to see the granddaddy of DataStage

Post by peternolan9 »

Hey all you DataStage fans and users....

It has been years and years since I have been here.

I haven't used Datastage in a long time now.

But I have a bit of a treat for you all today!!!

Many of you will not know the grand daddy of DataStage was Metaphor.

Metaphor was a company that Ralph Kimball co founded back in 82.

The DataStage pallet was pretty much a copy of the Metaphor desktop.

Metaphors product was like a "datastage for end users".

It is now called Meta5 which is a bit of a play on the old Metaphor which was bought by IBM and almost killed.

But not even IBM could kill off Metaphor it is such a great product.

I was the IBM support guy in Australia for Metaphor in the 91-94 period...it still stands as the best product out there for ad hoc analytics by power data analysts...

The better the data analyst? The more complicated the analytics....the more valuable metaphor became.

Now there is a free 30 trial?

I am SURE some of you datastage guys will want to download it and play with it. You will love it......and yes....if anyone buys it IBM still gets royalties.

Here is a video showing you the grand daddy of DataStage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3WdQJC8Cw

And here is the free trial page.

http://www.meta5.us/products/free-trial/

Everyone here knows and loves datatage for ETL.....so you will want to see where it came from.

Just so you know....

Meta5 has only ever been available as an enterprise level product with a starting price of about USD80,000. The work was always done on the file servers and the clients were very thin clients like datastage is today.

But meta5 is in pre-release phase for a single user version that is selling for USD15 a month on an annual subscription during pre-release.

So check it out!!

The first time I saw a datastage demo I was able to build a job without the guy doing the demo showing me how! LOL!!

Best Regards

Peter
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

Um... call me shallow, but (based off the preso and starter guide) that UI hasn't seen much love since the X windows days, yeah?
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Metaphor had an early implementation, as I recall, that included the monitor/hardware including (which was cool at the time) a remote detachable keyboard.

"Granddaddy" though, also implies common code paths.........so that's not what we're talking about here...but the "metaphor" (pun intended) for design was there, for sure. ; )

I recall it being used extensively at a consumer goods company I was working with, doing reports at the time with the FOCUS 4gl.

Thanks for the memory.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>