Sequence Job Trigger

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence Job Trigger

Post by nvalia »

Hi All,

I have a Sequence job and I have the Exception Handler --> EMail --> Terminator stage at the end to trap all Exceptions (Failures)

I have checked the 3 options in job properties:
Add Checkpoints so Sequence is Restartable
Log Warnings for activities that finish with status other than OK
Automatically Handle Activities that Fail

In the Seq job, to simplify the design here, we have child Seq Jobs called in Parent/Main Seq

StgSeq --> RefDataSeq --> DimSeq --> FactSeq and all these have Triggers set as Ok Conditional, only then it moves forward.

My expectation was if StgSeq fails (any job within this child Seq fails) it would go to Exception Handler, send email and then Abort gracefully

In this scenario the Main Seq does Abort but I am not getting the email..looking at the log it does not go to the Exception Handler stage and hence no Email..

Is this expected behavior?

Also is this Exception process impacted if in the trigger I use OK Conditional vs Custom -<ActivityVar>.JobStatus = 1, i believe these mean the same ???

Appreciate your reply

Thanks
NV
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First try turning off the "Automatically Handle Activities that Fail" property.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then it would seem you have found a bug and you should report it. I'd still be curious what happens if you turn that option off...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The order of precedence is:
  1. a Failure trigger
    an Exception Handler
    automatic handling
    failure
That is, if an activity has a Failure trigger that fires, no call is made to the Exception Handler or any other mechanism. The Failure trigger takes precedence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I think Craig is sort of on the right track with this...

I vaguely recall running into something similar a long time back (version 8.7 I think).

At the time it seemed like a timing bug. My issue was resolved when I unchecked the "Log Warnings for activities..." in one of the job sequences. I think it was the parent sequence, but I don't remember for sure.

It seemed like that act of logging a warning probably triggered some product bug.

Mike
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

Yes this is indeed the problem.

Once I Unchecked the "Log Warnings for Activities.." option and only had the other 2 checked, I started receiving the Failure Notifications as expected.

On reaching out to IBM support, they came back with this same answer..so It is a BUG even in the latest version!

Hopefully they fix it soon, until then this work around does the job!