DataStage Designer hang

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nurzhan
Participant

DataStage Designer hang

Post by Nurzhan »

HI!
Help me, please? I don't know English very well, because I am Kazakh, but I will try to explain my problem.

I have a problem with the DataStage Designer.

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 with IBM IS DataStage 9.1.2. DataStage was installed recently.

When I open the properties of the transformer stage or edit Job components then the designer hangs. When the job is small the designer doesn't hang, but when the job has more than 4 or 5 components it hangs.

Please, help me resolve this problem.

[Note - edited slightly for clarity - Andy]

:( :( :( :( :( :(
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I've never seen a situation where the size of the job caused issues, so I'm not certain what is causing the problem.

1) How much memory do you have on the system?
2) Do you have the server installed on that system also?

You might try running the ISALite diagnostic tool (C:\IBM\InformationServer\ISALite\ISALite.bat). There are some general diagnostics there to check out the platform / installation.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

If it's the same as what I've seen on occasion, it presents as a GUI focus issue.
To work around it, click on another app and then click back on the transformer editor window. You'll now be able to do whatever it was you were trying to do (until the next time).

I've seen this affect in the mapping frames in the middle of the editor:
- Getting focus to a cell in order to type something.
- Getting focus to the scroll bar to get to a column that's outside the display window.

I've seen it happen in over a remote connection like RDP or a Citrix Receiver session where the connection is a little slow or uneven. I've only seen it a couple of times, but when it happens it can be for a 10 minute period where you have to do it almost every time you need to change focus inside the mapping frames. So it is quite disruptive when it happens.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've seen something similar when connected via Remote Desktop to the client machine. I keep a Director client open, and Alt-Tab to it and back again. My main gripe is that using scroll bars seems to lose focus from all other controls in the Designer client.

I do not see this behaviour when directly logged in to the Designer client machine, so I'm going to choose to blame Microsoft anyway (the fault is clearly in Remote Desktop!).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nurzhan
Participant

Post by Nurzhan »

Hi, asorrell
- On our server memory of 16 gb. During the work with DataStage Designer 20% are used.
- the InfoSphere IS installed on the new server 64-bit OS. version IS Datastage 9.1.2 (64-bit). version client datastage 9.1.2 (64-bit).

I don't understand in what a problem.

:( :(
Nurzhan
Participant

Post by Nurzhan »

HI, stuartjvnorton

it isn't used RDP. I work with DS client.

any movement in the ds designer hangs. to open something it is necessary to stick with the cursor several times.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What advice have you had from your official support provider? Have you even asked your official support provider about this issue?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nurzhan
Participant

Post by Nurzhan »

didn't address to the official support provider about this problem
Nurzhan
Participant

Post by Nurzhan »

there can be a matter in a cache of the client? but I have no wholesale on control a cache of files or a memory cache for the ds client
thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thompsonp »

Nurzhan - is the client install you are using on the same box as the DataStage server install?
Only ask as you mention 16GB memory on server and 20% being used.
If the client is installed on a separate machine what memory usage are you seeing on the client?
Have you installed the client on any other machines and if so do they exhibit the same problem?
As Ray mentioned - contact your support provider