SQL server connection issue from ODBC

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

SQL server connection issue from ODBC

Post by kennyapril »

Hello,

We are connecting to SQL server DB for the first time from ODBC connector stage.The Admin says he established the connection to connect to SQL server as we provided him the Server's IP address, port number and DB name.
I can connect to the same DB from an external client but when connecting from ODBC connector giving the DSN name created and username/password it says "Failed to receive the response from the handler: request timed out". any issue with in DS ?

Please suggest my next steps

Thanks!
Regards,
Kenny
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Go to the 32-bit ODBC definition that the admin created and try the "test" button. If that works then the ODBC connection would seem to be correctly set up and should work in DataStage. If the "Test" doesn't work then the Admin needs to fix that. Note that the ODBC driver is 32-Bit and that system DSNs need to be used.
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

please let me know where do I see this? In the administrator client?
Regards,
Kenny
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

His ODBC instruction is for Widnows env. Since you are in Unix env., you need to set up your .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config for the ODBC and then go to branded_odbc directory to test the ODBC connection.
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

Actually the server has 2 DB's on it and the DSN was created only for 1 DB now we submitted the name of other DB as well so new DSN has been created for it.

Now it works fine,

Thank you all very much:)
Regards,
Kenny
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sorry about that.... I thought I saw "Windows" in the OS but was mistaken and the ODBC directions didn't apply to your question. But it seems that you've solved the issue now and can continue.