Disable NLS to improve performance

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

daignault
Premium Member
Premium Member

Disable NLS to improve performance

Post by daignault »

One of our contractors here believes that if NLS is disabled, we could see upward of a 30% performance improvement. I'm not sure how to test it.

We have a performance system and I can set NLS to 0 in uvconfig, but I still have every directory containing the ".NLS" flag. I also have disabled it in only the UniVerse side, not in XMETA.

I'm thinking this will make a very unstable system but I'm willing to give it a shot. At the very least I think we would need to export every project, create new projects under a disabled NLS environment and re-import everything. I suspect re-compilation of everything will also be required.

Anyone ever tried this before?

Ray D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Disabling NLS won't really affect performance. The fact that NLS is installed means that characters are processed using multi-byte-capable techniques.

Installing without NLS is a "pure (extended) ASCII" environment, single-byte character set only. That would perform better than with NLS installed, but lose you the NLS capabilities. Though I'd not be arrogant enough to suggest a figure of 30% (or any other) - can you ask for an authoritative source for this figure and let us know?

If you have been using NLS, and set maps and/or locales in job designs, then disable NLS, expect lots of warnings about maps and/or locales not being loaded.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Disable NLS to improve performance

Post by SURA »

I tried before and didn't helped. In other way after you change the settings from either 0 to 1 or wise-verse will create warning about NLS.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, you have to install without NLS to derive any benefit from not doing the 'mult-byte capable processing' that Ray mentions. Disabling it doesn't help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
robinbrown8636@hotmail.co
Participant

Post by robinbrown8636@hotmail.co »

IBM posts that disabling NLS for SERVER jobs can have an impact for performance. No performance gains for parralel jobs
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. Can you please provide a URL for where "IBM posts" this information?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

IBM notes this issue with server job performance on the installation screen.

"This installation will be configured for English. If you want to handle data in non-English languages, install globalization support.

If you previously installed IBM InfoSphere DataStage and did not enable national language support, consider installing globalization now so that your system can handle non-English data. Some server jobs might run more slowly after you install globalization. The performance of parallel jobs is not affected.

Important: You cannot change this option after installation"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, IBM posts that installing NLS (globalization) may result in slightly degraded performance.

This is true irrespective of the setting of NLSMODE in the uvconfig file.