Conencting DS 7.5.3 server from my 7.5.2 Client version

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsedi
Participant

Conencting DS 7.5.3 server from my 7.5.2 Client version

Post by dsedi »

Experts,
sorry if this is a noob question
Never tried to connect DS 7.5.3 server from my 7.5.2 Client.
will that work without any issues?

Thanks in advance for the answer
Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Client and server versions, fix packs, and patch levels should match, whether the client actually connects without warning/error or not.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Short answer: you can't.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dsedi
Participant

Post by dsedi »

Thanks qt_ky
Thanks chulett
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

chulett wrote:Short answer: you can't.
And if you can, you shouldn't. :) Back on various 7.5.1 / 7.5.1A / 7.5.2 combinations, it worked. That doesn't mean you should compile all the jobs across differing client & server versions.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I know exactly what you mean, and it only looked like it worked. Sometimes also known as 'mostly works'. Had several run-ins with support over the issue... they were very insistent - don't do it. Just say no. :wink:
-craig

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Yep! I ran into ever-so-slight compile issues with those combinations since some pre-compile steps happen on the client and the rest happen on the server...

Same goes for the IIS Console used for IA and ISD. I found recently that between 8.5 and 8.7, you can login with either version of the IIS Console client. There is no client/server version check or warning given as there is with DataStage clients! Beware... :!:
dsedi
Participant

Post by dsedi »

Hi Craig/Eric

could you please advise on the below...
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

If you are needing to show evidence to management, you should contact your official support provider to obtain an official statement concerning support for mismatched releases of server and client software.

If you need more detailed information, request details from support of changes between the two versions that affect either the client software or both the client and engine.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The issue I recall is a bit sketchy as it was around 2007 I would guess... I did not involve 7.5.3 at all but it's representative of what bad things can happen due to a client/server version mismatch. It was related to 7.5.1 vs. 7.5.1A and strange runtime problems. We spent many hours getting to the bottom of it. We were also using the built-in Version Control tool to do promotions. In the end we found some difference depending on which Designer Client we originally initiated the compile from.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't recall much in the way of gory details as it was quite some time ago as well but I think it was about using a 7.5.1a client against a 7.5.3 server. Sequences compiled differently, we had odd issues with the XML stages which was the killer for us as we did a ton of XML work at the time. Support basically said that they couldn't help us until we got all of the clients up to 7.5.3 or just stuck with the 7.5.1a release. We ended up going with the latter...
-craig