dsrpcd process not start after invoking the startup command

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cdp
Premium Member
Premium Member

dsrpcd process not start after invoking the startup command

Post by cdp »

I recently experienced the above issue when trying to recycle the DataStage Engine services on AIX.

The command I was using

Code: Select all

bin/uv -admin -start
from the $DSHOME after source dsenv. However the prompt would return no status. an echo $? however was returning a 2 indicating that there was an error.

I have been able to solve the error through the help of the IBM support site who pointed me in the direction of the following tech note.

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg21425269

It appeared that as we were using a non-standard PS1 prompt and the script was unable to decipher the prompt correctly. Just thought I would post this incase anyone else stumbles across the same issue. Trick for young players I guess.

Thanks...Jonathan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Weird! Error code 2 (E_FNTF) is "file not found". I wonder how $PS1 could affect that?

Anyway, thanks for the posting, even from one of the old players!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That's an interesting note. I wonder which "script" can't handle custom prompts. I thought the uv command was a compiled program, not a script. I checked a few scripts but didn't see an exit 2. Any idea which script it's coming from?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

uv is a compiled command indeed, but it does try to read a number of files, such as .uvconfig, VOC and others. And when the -admin option is used, there will be other files that it needs to read. If any one of them is missing, the command is likely to fail. As to why a non-standard PS1 value would cause the problem I continue to have no idea.

Obviously I am not going to try to guess which file may be missing - it may even be /.dshome - so the next step is either to paste the output of ls -la command for us to analyze, or involve your official support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would guess that there is no file actually missing but a custom PS1 prompt setting could throw off a program or script that executes other scripts or commands, parsing their output, etc., and trigger the uv executable to misinterpret that a file is missing. I'm curious about it because I recently set a custom PS1 prompt, however I have not seen the error Jonathon reported.

It would be interesting to know what value PS1 was set to, to trigger the error, and also where Error code 2 (E_FNTF) is documented. Thanks!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius