Datastage 7.5.1A Migration From Solaris to AIX

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage 7.5.1A Migration From Solaris to AIX

Post by paranoid »

Hi,

We are planning for migration of Datasage 7.5.1A that is installed on Sun Solaris to new AIX box. Please let me know the necessary steps that are needed in migrating this tool after re-installing on new server.

How to configure the tool just like the one in the older server? How to move the repository file from Older to Newer one? Is it a just copy and paste of the configuration files and repository files between the servers or do we need to follow any set of rules?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sue
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What chipset is being used in the Solaris machine. If it's x86, you'll have byte order issues. In any case, the recommended method is to export projects from the old system, create projects on the new system and import into those newly-created projects. Cut-and-paste is definitely NOT the correct way.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

I will have to check the chipset that we are using in the solaris server. Thanks for the heads up. Please let me know how to move the repository files and configuration files.

Thanks once again for your valuable inputs.

Sue
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Waiting to hear about byte-order before advising on transferring files. The repository files are export/import, as earlier advised.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

I am unable to check the byte-order of my Unix box. Could you let me know how to check the byte-order? Sorry for being dumb..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest question to ask is whether Solaris is running on SPARC or x86 chipset.

Another way is to look at the first four bytes of a hashed file with a hex viewer such as od.

Code: Select all

od -cx VOCLIB | head -1
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Checking the processor type in solaris -

isalist -v
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Hi,

I have got the following output when i executed isalist -v

sparcv9+vis2 sparcv9+vis sparcv9 sparcv8plus+vis sparcv8plus sparcv8 sparcv8-fsmuld sparcv7 sparc

I could not comprehend the chipset out of the resulset i got.

Please advise.

Thanks
Sue
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Hi,

Could you please confirm which chipset i have in my UNIX box based on the above information in the previous post?

Thanks in advance

Sue
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:The easiest question to ask is whether Solaris is running on SPARC or x86 chipset.
paranoid wrote:I have got the following output when i executed isalist -v

sparcv9+vis2 sparcv9+vis sparcv9 sparcv8plus+vis sparcv8plus sparcv8 sparcv8-fsmuld sparcv7 sparc sparc sparc sparcy sparc sparc
Seems pretty obvious to me. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Oh Thanks a lot Chulett. So it is x86 chip set.

Ray, now it is confirmed that it is x86 chip set, so what are the steps involved in installing and moving the repository file in the new AIX box? I would be really thankful if you can help me out in this.

Sue
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

paranoid wrote:Oh Thanks a lot Chulett. So it is x86 chip set.
Seriously?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Hi,

When i executed the following command:
od -cx VOCLIB | head -1

Got the following output:

0000000 254 357 001 \f \0 \0 \0 002 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 007

How can we check the chipset based on the above result?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sue
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Installing is installing is installing. You need to install the AIX version. Are you installing on 64-bit or 32-bit version of AIX? (DataStage 7.5 is a 32-bit application.)

Migration of DataStage artifacts is then a matter of export then import. Since export is pure text, the chipset is irrelevant to this method.

If you are moving hashed files, use the -export and -import options of the format.conv command, which will look after byte-order for you automatically. DO NOT try to copy hashed files from one operating system to the other.

If you are installing Enterprise edition, you need the AIX-specific C++ compiler, xlC_r.
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Does that mean that Solaris version of DS that is currently installed on Solaris box cannot be installed on new AIX box? Do we need to request AIX version from IBM? Please advice me on this.

Thanks for your help

Sue