Can i switch to OBIEE or stick with DataStage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemanth210
Participant

Can i switch to OBIEE or stick with DataStage

Post by hemanth210 »

I am doing my Datastage course right now,one of my brother suggest me that OBIEE(Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition) has good market right now,so he advice me to learn OBIEE.can anyone suggest me that can i go forward with OBIEE or stick with DataStage only.....

or Doing both will enhance my job search in the filed.

Please suggest me ......

Thank U in advance
Hemanth
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

DS and Oracle BI are two totally different tools. They are also required two different sets of skills. Especially for OBIEE, it always requires that you have worked with either Oracle's Applications (11i or R12, using ADF), Oracle OLAP, Oracle Hyperion Essbase, or Oracle Seibal Analytics. Of course, you will find much more jobs with Oracle skills and much higer pay.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

I worked in a project that had OBIEE( reporting) and Datastage ( ETL).. depends on what's your area of interest - do you like inetaracting with business users and SME's or do you like to write programs etc and have a closer grip on programming and working on the 'more technical' side of things.. whatever enthuses you more.. Yes there are more job opportunities in OBIEE and probably better rates due to market demand ( at least for those with sufficient real world experience) Id say if you have time and passion go for both ( Usually OBIEE implementations have Informatica as the ETL tool - because customers try to get closely integrated products and I guess it is sold as such )
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

He might have meant ODIEE (Oracle Data Integrator Enterprise Edition) and not OBIEE. Oracle Data Integrator is a direct competitor to DataStage in the ETL space.

For more information, see below:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middl ... index.html
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

No, the original poster was asking whether he should switch careers to OBIEE or stick with DS. Also, ODI's architecture is based on E-LT not ETL. Don't get confused.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea:
Stick with OBIWAN. Use the force!
:lol:
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hemanth210
Participant

Post by hemanth210 »

Thanks for all ur replies....
And iam asking for OBIEE (reporting tool) only .........

Hemanth
Hemanth