Sending Multiple Attachment from Notification Activity

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arnabbora
Participant

Sending Multiple Attachment from Notification Activity

Post by arnabbora »

Hi,
I am trying to send two attachments from my Notification Activity from inside my job sequence.
But the problem I am facing is that I am able to send only one attachment, It is sending only the first file. For the second one it is saying
"WARNING - MISSING ATTACHMENT: Cannot open attachment file" .But the file is present in the specified path. I am separating the files by a comma(,).
If I use space or semicolon to separate the attachment files then it is sending none of the files.

If I interchange the position of the two files, than again the first one it is sending but not the second one.

Could any body please help me on this.
I hope sending multiple attachment is possible through Datastage Notification Activity.

Thanks in advance,
Arnab
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure that is supported, we would always zip any files to be sent so we could send it out with a single attachment. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Sending multiple attachments from a single Email Notification Activity is not supported.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
arnabbora
Participant

Post by arnabbora »

Thanks Craig and Kris.
If it is not supported, then I will create a single file and then send as a single attachment.

Regards,
Arnab
phonseau
Participant

Post by phonseau »

You can create another notification activity with the second file as the attachment. If the user doesn't mind getting two e-mails.
phonseau
Participant

Post by phonseau »

It is supported. You need to separate each file path by comma. I tried it and it works..
e.g
/opt/IBM/~/data/XXFile.csv,/opt/IBM/I~/data/SupplierMatchedFile.csv

hope it helps!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They noted that they've already tried that and had issues. From what I recall, it can depend on your platform and mail server, they don't all work the same way. Some want a comma between the files names, some want a "comma space" and I believe I had one where it took a semi-colon. Still, zipping up everything and sending a single attachment (regardless) was what most of my clients seemed to prefer.
-craig

pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

Craig,

Do you remember the platforms which support multiple attachments.(like separated by comma or comma space)?

thanks
pandeeswaran
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't recall one that doesn't, it was just a matter of figuring out how it wanted them to look.
-craig

drexeljoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by drexeljoe »

I had this same issue and after reading phonseau's suggestion I realized that the root cause was that I initially had a space after the commma separating the filepaths. Removing the space corrected the issue. This is on DataStage 8.7

Causes Error:

Code: Select all

/home/dsuser/File1, /home/dsuser/File2
Sends both attachments succesfully:

Code: Select all

/home/dsuser/File1,/home/dsuser/File2