Login using Hostname vs IP of Host

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Login using Hostname vs IP of Host

Post by VCInDSX »

Hi,
I have a setup where the Server and Client Desktop (Development) are in two different boxes and locations.
The network is setup in such a way that I am able to reach the server via IP address but Hostname doesn't resolve to the IP as the DNS is missing that entry.
When I try to launch Datastage Designer Client, I specify the IP address:port, user name, password, IP/Project name. This throws an error message of Java Exception that it could not establish a connection to the HOST Name.

1. Is there any client setting that can force the client suite to use the IP and not the HOST Name. It appears that the initial scripts executed by the Designer client are translating the IP to the host name and trying to establish a connection to that Hostname.

Here is the actual exception stack trace

Code: Select all

Caused by: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: A communication failure occurred while attempting to obtain an initial context with the provider URL: "iiop://ServerName:2809".  Make sure that any bootstrap address information in the URL is correct and that the target name server is running.  A bootstrap address with no port specification defaults to port 2809.  Possible causes other than an incorrect bootstrap address or unavailable name server include the network environment and workstation network configuration. [Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.TRANSIENT: java.net.UnknownHostException: ServerName:host=ServerName,port=2809  vmcid: IBM  minor code: E02  completed: No] 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.mapInitialReferenceFailure(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:1968) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.mergeWsnNSProperties(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:1172) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.getRootContextFromServer(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:720) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.getRootJndiContext(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:643) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.getInitialContextInternal(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:489) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getContext(WsnInitCtx.java:113) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getContextIfNull(WsnInitCtx.java:428) 
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.lookup(WsnInitCtx.java:144) 
at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:361) 
at com.ascential.acs.security.auth.JAASAuthenticationService$WASServer.init(JAASAuthenticationService.java:564) 
Ports 2809, 9080 and 31538 are enabled and accessible
This is a new DS 8 client that i am trying to setup and start working...

Thanks for your time and help
-V
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

You need to use the Hostname.
You could always add an entry into your local hosts file to resolve hostname to IP.
Otherwise you would have to fix DNS.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Thanks Eric. Did that and got an authentication error. This is now a case with IBM and working on changes suggested by the support team(s).
I am waiting for a final resolution before I post an update to this thread.

I will let this group know once this issue is resolved.

Thanks
-V
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Hi Group,
An update on this issue....
It turned out to be a case of not being able to access all the required ports on the server from a remote desktop.
The following ports are suggested to be open for clients that want to connect to a remote server. Pay attention to firewall issues. In our case, we had to specifically request our network team to enable these across the firewall.

Code: Select all

A few of these ports might not be having a listening service on the server.... but IBM Support mentioned us not to worry about those....

Let me know if you need any additional details.
Thanks
-V