Batch Password change?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Turkbear
Participant

Batch Password change?

Post by Turkbear »

Hi,
We access data in dozens of ETL Load jobs from a source that requires a password change every 90 days..It is very tedious to go through each job and each stage in each job to change that password..Is there any batch process possible to find all instances of one password and change it?

Thanks,
Running on
Ascential 7.5 Linux AS 3
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? Aren't you using Job Parameters for this? If so, why aren't those values stored in some sort of central location that all jobs leverage, like parameter files or tables? That would make the change a '2 second' change.

You could play the export / edit /import game to do this all in one big whack but you are much better off parameterizing anything like this. Something could be built batch-wise for parameters, doing this for embedded passwords in stages however would be more... difficult.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Why not parametrize these strings?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Turkbear
Participant

Batch Password change..

Post by Turkbear »

Thanks for the info..
I have never used Parameter files for that ( use them for Environment variables, etc)..

How does the datasource component reference the parameter file?

Any tips, samples etc would be greatly valued...
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Hi all,
I have learned how to create and use Parameter Values for Username and Password ( as an encrypted value) in the properties
of the Job Sequence and to use those for each job in the Sequence.
This is a big help since some of our sequences have 20 jobs, each needing user/pass info, so thanks all for the info pointing me to using the parameter tab for more than environment values..
Now, ( never satisfied, I know) - is there a way to do something like that at the Project level? Enviornment variables can be used in every job and sequence in the Project, is there a way to do that with these types of parameters? Using Environment Variables as Parameters maybe?
They do not seem to work in the same way as the Parameter entries, so I cannot get it to work.

Thanks again...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you define environment variables in the Administrator client they are stored on the server in a file called DSParams in the project directory. DSParams is a text file and can be edited. But, of course, each environment variable appears only once, so you may as well edit them from the Administrator client.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Sorry..Not Premium User so cannot read rest of your post..All the defined vars are in that file, bu tthe jobs/sequences do not seem to use tham correctly - they use the 'regular' parameter values OK..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Set up the job parameters (in the jobs) that use environment variables to have the special value $PROJDEF as their default values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd suggest you search the pdf docs for $PROJDEF as the bits that explain this are a little scattered around. The Administrator Guide and Designer Guide primarily cover it.
-craig

Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Hi,
Thanks - I'll give that a shot..The use of either parameters or environment variables is going to save us much effort..

When we set this system up years ago ( when it was Informix) , after learning about sequences and Pre or Post job shell commands, we stopped reading the docs since everything we wanted to do was set..( The tool has been so stable that we only called support twice in 8 years )
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Hi,
Thanks - I'll give that a shot..The use of either parameters or environment variables is going to save us much effort..

When we set this system up years ago ( when it was Informix) , after learning about sequences and Pre or Post job shell commands, we stopped reading the docs since everything we wanted to do was set..( The tool has been so stable that we only called support twice in 8 years )
Turkbear
Participant

Post by Turkbear »

Sorry for the double post..Lost connection and thought it had failed..

Thaks for the help- the use of $PROJDEF and Project level environment variables did the trick! This saves us over 5 hours of weork every 90 days and eliminates many chances of typos that cause failures...

:D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Turkbear wrote:Sorry for the double post..Lost connection and thought it had failed..
No worries. Keep in mind the fact that you can delete any of your own posts, as long as they have not been replied to yet. :wink:
-craig