DS General question(UV,VOC,Hash)

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rafik2k
Participant

DS General question(UV,VOC,Hash)

Post by rafik2k »

I have some general question as follow:-

1) what is the use UV(Universe) in DataStage

2) What is the use of VOC? how to use this?

Is this applicable for parallel job also?

3) About Hash File Stage:
As of now i used hash stage with the path "Use directory path"I never use the other option "Use account name"
Can you plz share what does it mean by accoun here and how to use it and what is the benefits of using it.

I looked pdf help file but didn't get much information about it.

I apologize for too many question.

Any information/tips on above will be higly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rafiq
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: DS General question(UV,VOC,Hash)

Post by DSguru2B »

rafik2k wrote: 1) what is the use UV(Universe) in DataStage
The underlaying database of DataStage used to Universe. Its not Universe anymore (Since 5.1 I believe). Its called DataStage Engine. I think its safe to say that due to the similarities in the architecture, uv commands can be run on DSEngine. I might be off a little bit in my explanation but I am sure someone will correct me.

rafik2k wrote: 2) What is the use of VOC? how to use this?
Is this applicable for parallel job also?
VOC is basically the vocabulary entry. You can get more details on it in BASIC.pdf and by surfing through the archives here.
You dont feel the need to play with the VOC on a day to day basis. If something goes wrong or some VOC entry gets deleted then you have to work with it. Like there is a recent post here where the semicolon was deleted and no sql commands could be run as the engine was not recognizing it. Another example would be to create a VOC entry for a pathed hashed file if you want to run any uv commands on it. Stuff like that.

rafik2k wrote:
3) About Hash File Stage:
As of now i used hash stage with the path "Use directory path"I never use the other option "Use account name"
Can you plz share what does it mean by accoun here and how to use it and what is the benefits of using it.
In account hashed files are created in the project directory. Not a good idea, not recommended as it can fill up the space pretty fast and then the entire project can get corrupted. Thats why its always best to use "Directory path" hashed files.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
rafik2k
Participant

Post by rafik2k »

Thanks DSguru2B for quick response and valuable informaion
:lol:
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Hope you get the job.
Mamu Kim