Reducing duplicate streams and databases

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

This is not uncommon to create an ODS as a buffer between your source and your data warehouse. I am sure Ken can give the long answer why this is important.
Mamu Kim
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I agree with Kim. Not uncommon at all. I implemented something along those lines at one of my client's. Ken can definately throw some more light on it. We all love his in depth answers.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A great start point is developing a business glossary - centralizing (and getting agreement upon) the definitions of business terminology. Only when you have this in place, and agreed to, does it make any sense to go forward with designing a centralized model.

I suggest that you look at IBM's business glossary offering, as it can be stored in the same location as metadata used by modelling tools, ETL design tools and metadata analytical tools, and can be leveraged by all of them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RodBarnes »

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I am in the right direction. I look forward to Ken's input.

Ray: We are actually looking at the IBM Business Glossary and Metadata Workbench. Very impresive capability. The challenge (of course) is getting management and IBM to agree on a price. :wink:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Is'nt that always the challenge :wink:
Good Luck.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wait for the challenge in getting all the silo owners to agree on consistent enterprise-wide terminology. How good are your negotiation and dispute resolution skills?!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.