Question about Exception Handler

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jewelhaque
Participant

Question about Exception Handler

Post by jewelhaque »

Hello, I would greatly appreciate if you please answer the following question. Is it possible to use Exception Handler in a Sequence Job without turning on 'Automactically handle activities that fail' check box in Job Properties?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure.

Keep in mind, however, that the way it works changed significantly over the earlier 7.x releases. Which exact version are you running?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jewelhaque
Participant

Post by jewelhaque »

I am running 7.5.2. Looks like when I turn off the 'Automatically handle activites that fail' Exception Handler does not execute.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Under what circumstances are you expecting it to execute? Granted, most of the time you would use the two together as that greatly simplifies your error handling, but there's no requirement they be used together.

Make sure you read the Help on the stage to understand the functionality it brings to the table. I'll do the same to refresh my early morning brain. :wink:
-craig

jewelhaque
Participant

Post by jewelhaque »

I read the manual. It does not help. Believe me control is not going to Exception Handler if I don't turn on 'Automatically handle activities that fail'. Do you have any example? By the way, thank you for your response!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Again, just to be clear - under what exact circumstances are you expecting the Exception Handler to jump into the fray?

Without anything special, it will catch problems with the Sequence job itself - jobs not compiled, non-existent parameters, that kind of stuff - but not something like a job failure. I also vaguely recall on option in the EH itself you may need to enable for it to do more than that... can't check right now myself or I would.
-craig

jewelhaque
Participant

Post by jewelhaque »

Thank you again ! I think without turn on that option Exception Handler will not work. I am trying something else.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, it does work, just not in the way you are (apparently) expecting. So the generic answer to your generic question would still be 'yes'.

I've asked twice now and you've yet to say exactly what your expectations are. Or why you would want to turn the 'Automatically handle' option off. If you explained what kind of exceptions you were trying to handle and why the automatic option isn't desirable, someone here can get you a proper answer.

Sometimes people ask a very specific 'what' question when they should really just be asking a more generic 'how' question. :wink:
-craig