DataStage Basic Complier Problems

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Mamu Kim
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The compiler is called using the "BASIC" command. It is better to create the folder as type 19 so it doesn't do funky things with your filename. BASIC commands do not need to be terminated with a semicolon.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm just curious why you are taking this path rather than creating Routines in the Manager or coding in the Job Control tab of a Server job? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
SteffenRdk
Participant

Post by SteffenRdk »

I analyse DataStage and consequently I need to analyse also BASIC.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Doesn't really answer the question, but... ok. Whatever. :?

Why not just 'analyse BASIC' by studying the supplied Routines? There are a plethora, documentation is decent and all you have to do is double-click on one to reveal the BASIC source code.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The file you opened is the dictionary. It is (was) a hashed file. By overwriting it with text you have irretrievably damaged the hashed file structure, and therefore the file dictionary. What you needed to do was to open a file in the BASICCODE1 directory, not in D_BASICCODE1.

You need to undo your work, and begin again. Use the command DELETE.FILE BASICCODE1 so that the VOC entry is also deleted.

The next point is that "basic.exe" is not the BASIC compiler. The BASIC compiler MUST be invoked using the BASIC command from within the DataStage environment.

You need to read the early chapters of the DataStage BASIC manual thoroughly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.