Version Control Problems

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ldesilvio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Version Control Problems

Post by ldesilvio »

I'm having issues setting up Version Control on a Windows Server 2003 environment. Here's the initial info:

DS Version: 7.5.1A
VC Version: 7.5

I've set up a user dsadm and made him a member of the Administrators group. I then create the VERSION project on the server, logging into Administrator as dsadm. Then I started the VC client and login as dsadm. It says VERSION has not been setup as a VC repositiory. I click Yes to configure it. I then get this message: "Unable to open file APM.VERSION.XREF. (Error: 30114)." I click OK and the VC explorer appears. I close this and start again. It again says that it has not been setup, I click YES, and then I get messages that says "APM.VERSION.XREF is already in your voc file as a definition record". It allows you to enter the file name. This repeats for APM.VERSION, and APM.BATCH. I then get the (Error: 30114) message and the VC explorer appears.

Now, to show that I thoroughly tested this:

I then deleted the VERSION project, logged back in as user "administrator" and created the VERSION project and logged into VERSION through VC and I got no error messages when it was setup as a VC repository. As administrator, VC works as advertised. NOW, I log out and log back in as dsadm. No errors. I can import jobs and objects fine. It shows the jobs I have imported in the left pane. HOWEVER, if I log out and log back in as dsadm, I see no jobs or objects. It's like I didn't import anything. IF I log back in as administrator, I can see the objects I imported as dsadm. ALSO, if I open Manager and log in as dsadm, I can see the jobs in the VERSION project. Only when I log in through VC that I don't see jobs in VERSION. I also set permissions to C:\Ascential directory for dsadm the same as administrator, which is "Full Control" . Anyone seen this before? I can email screen shots of the errors if you want. Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The problems look like they are coming from system file permissions; at least what you are seeing is typical of insufficient access to create, then R/W files. The fact that the view of jobs as "dsadm" is empty is probably because the cross reference file wasn't written correctly, and thus couldn't be read.

Do you have any non-standard access protection on the 2003 box? Additional packages installed? If you login as "dsadm" what rights do you have to the file APM.VERSION*?
ldesilvio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ldesilvio »

Well, it's seems to be working now. I don't know why Windows would behave like this, but I deleted the dsadm user and re-created it. Now it works fine. FYI: This is a standard barebones installation with just DataStage on it, so I don't know why it would have behaved that way. Anyway, thanks for the time.