DataStage Event Detail

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kvercruy
Participant

DataStage Event Detail

Post by kvercruy »

Hello,

Does anybody have any idea how much characters/lines can be processed in the Message pane of the Event Detail in DataStage Director?

It seems that the output of a shell script generated a Job Control Failed error due to this kind of limitation.

Thank you in advance for a quick respons!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is probably a limit in the DataStage Director.

However, this would not have any effect upon a script that was either logging or retrieving information from the job log, because the script would not be using Director.

There is no actual limit on the size of a logged event apart from the limit on the total amount of data in the log (2GB).

You need to look elsewhere for the cause of your job control failure.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage internally has no effective limit for the length of strings (as long as it can malloc() the space) so I don't think that a run will fail due to this. The message "pane" is a client side only object.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, there is a 256000 character limit for log messages. When I capture a large amount of output from a script, for example, it will dump quite a bit of it into the log and then show:

Code: Select all

...[Message truncated to 256000 characters, actual length was 298659 characters]...
One such example pulled from my logs. As noted, however, it should not result in any kind of failure.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Obviously my jobs don't generate quite the same level of waffle as thine!

Learned something new today.

I suspect the limit for Director would be 64KB - it appears to use a rich text control to display the event detail.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.