Input buferring

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ralleo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Input buferring

Post by ralleo »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to view a sequential file and I get the error message "input bufferring" with no rows displayed in a parallel environment. File is a comma delimited file with a unix line feed.

However using the same sequential file, I can view this data in a server environment.

Any clues.

Thanks

Ritchie
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Can you please post the complete error message. Doing a copy paste of the message usually helps.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ralleo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ralleo »

DSguru2B wrote:Can you please post the complete error message. Doing a copy paste of the message usually helps. ...

The error message is as follows:

No rows were returned from view data

DSProjectMapName
##W TOIX 000000 15:36:51(000) <CustFile,0> Input buffer overrun at field "Postcode"
##W TOIX 000154 15:36:51(001) <CustFile,0> Import warning at record 0:

However, I have found the problem and fixed it. It is to do with the formatting at record level, i.e final delimiter=end has to be used as well as record delimiter = UNIX new line .

Thanks

Ritchie
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The error message goes a long way to explaining your problem. Your metadata for "Postcode" specifies a length that is shorter than the actual data contents for the field, hence the error message.
ralleo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ralleo »

ArndW wrote:The error message goes a long way to explaining your problem. Your metadata for "Postcode" specifies a length that is shorter than the actual data contents for the field, hence the error message.
Thanks for the info.

Ritchie
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I guess in your case the postcode field was the last one in the row, which is why the error disappeared when you changed delimiter settings.
ralleo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ralleo »

ralleo wrote:
ArndW wrote:The error message goes a long way to explaining your problem. Your metadata for "Postcode" specifies a length that is shorter than the actual data contents for the field, hence the error message.
Thanks for the info.

Ritchie
However, why does it work in server environment and not parallel environment
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Different engines, different methadologies. PX has a stronly typed language like C. It is particular about variable meta data which for us is column metadata.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ralleo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ralleo »

DSguru2B wrote:Different engines, different methadologies. PX has a stronly typed language like C. It is particular about variable meta data which for us is column metadata. ...
Thanks for for expanding on that.

Ritchie