odbc

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kishoreramachandran
Participant

odbc

Post by kishoreramachandran »

how to install a odbc driver on my machine
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What 'machine'? What are you trying to accomplish exactly? :?

ps. They are already installed, they just need to be configured.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kishoreramachandran
Participant

I have told that the installation has been done on the server , on my machine what exactly am I suppposed to do. I am not able to see the driver on my machine.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

I have been told that the installation has been done on the server.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to connect to a database via odbc stage? Need more info then what you are providing buddy.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

yes , I am not able to connect to the database
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

you need to add entries to two files. uvodbc.config and .odbc.ini on the server. Search this forum for exact details on 'how to'
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

I was told that the entries have been made for those two files , on my machine what should I do.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Again, what is 'my machine'... your PC? If so then no you won't see them there or do anything with them there. Everything is done on the UNIX server where DataStage is installed.

Assuming we're talking DataStage here and the ODBC drivers that come with it, yes? The ones you would use with the ODBC stage in a job, yes?

Read the Install and Upgrade Guide pdf (dsupgde.pdf) that is in your Docs directory on your PC. In the Installing on UNIX Systems chapter is a discussion on Configuring ODBC Access where what you need to do is explained in detail.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kishoreramachandran wrote:I was told that the entries have been made for those two files , on my machine what should I do.
Find out the name that was setup for your connection and then just use that name in the ODBC stage.
-craig

kishoreramachandran
Participant

yes I mean my Pc when I say machine . And I want to access the data through odbc stage.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Nothing on your machine, drop the odbc stage on your canvas, open its properties, go to output tab, go to columns tab and click on load. Click on Import...'odbc table definitions'. From the drop down list in 'DSN' you should be able to see the entries that are in the two entries. Chose the one you want, enter username and password, if it lets you through, that means its configured properly. Use that dsn. Its already configured and you dont need to do anything from your end other than use it.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

kishoreramachandran wrote:yes I mean my Pc when I say machine . And I want to access the data through odbc stage.
What database are you trying to connect?
Sometimes, if you dont have a DSN set up for that database, you might have to create one yourself.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

I am able to see a dsn but when I select it I get the message invalid authorization BCI error
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Check this
Do a search an exact search on BCI error, you will get more results
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.