Command Line command to export Project properties

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anajitKS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Command Line command to export Project properties

Post by anajitKS »

Is there any command line command available to export project properties to a file ?
ABHIJIT DUTTA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Define "project properties" for us. Otherwise we'll just have to fall back on the generic answer of istool.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Here are a few.

$DSHOME/bin/dsadmin -listproperties [<project name>]

$DSHOME/bin/dsadmin -listenv [<project name>]

From the command line on the server, you can also go into the project directory and view the DSParams file. As with anything, if you edit that file directly, make a backup first, and be careful with any changes.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
anajitKS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anajitKS »

chulett wrote:Define "project properties" for us.
After logging into DataStage Administrator and choosing a project, we have the option to get to Environment Variable tab. On that tab we have option to Export variables to a file.

I am looking for a way to use a command line column which will do the same.
Only difference should be, It would produce the file in the server instead of desktop.
ABHIJIT DUTTA
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Try the second command I gave above, which should be run on the server itself. You can redirect its output into a new file.

You get all or nothing from the command line, whereas the Administrator GUI export feature lets you pick and choose what to export.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

qt_ky wrote:... the DSParams file. As with anything, if you edit that file directly...
I no longer recommend editing the DSParams file directly. Manual changes are not supported by IBM and malformed changes can partially or completely disrupt the entire project.

I have seen too many sites where someone manually edited DSParams and caused problems that caused project instability or took the project down. Then the customer had to pay someone like me to come in and fix it. Some customers would consider this a firing offense since it invalidates their support with IBM.

We occasionally recommend breaking the rules if there's no alternative, and usually with big caveats about "do this at your own risk". However there isn't any good reason to edit the DSParams file manually to change environment variables. Use the admin client to make environment variable changes.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020