How does client licensing work?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dj
Participant

How does client licensing work?

Post by dj »

Hi,

I'm just trying to understand how licensing is for IIS.

Does every client windows requires separate license or single license would suffice?

Are there any limitations on the client numbers using the same license.

Thanks.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It depends on your version. As I understand it, prior to version 11, DataStage and QualityStage licenses used to be based on the maximum number of concurrent users, specifically Designers. As of version 11 all the users across the suite are unlimited. I guess that leaves just the processor value unit (PVU) licenses, based on the processing capacity of your servers, and the type and speed of each processor core. Anyone feel free to correct me if needed. If you need an official ruling, then you need to confirm with your local sales representative.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

Still the licenses for DataStage clients are required. Each windows client/desktop required a separate license

All connections to the service-engine from same desktop/computer are cover by one license
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Vincent McBurney wrote a blog on this very topic in September 2015.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dj
Participant

Post by dj »

Thanks for all your inputs! Information that I could get from the sales team was that yes it is based on PVU license and it is unlimited to the client connections!